The Page Before The Chapter: Looking Back Before It Starts...

I walked into my room to sit down after the funeral. As I picked up my journal, I began to write...

January 2nd, 2030
"I'm finally alone with my thoughts. Nani is on her way, but she'll be a few. I'm not sure how I'm going to continue this thing called "life." 'shit is going to be hard but I'm my brother's fighter.
I need to stay strong for Nani, she needs my help. I'm not sure what's going on but there is something bothering her. She seemed off when I talked to her yesterday. Her focus was on me and helping me through my rough time, but I could see it in her eyes, something was going on in the beautiful head of hers.
Will I ever be able to tell her my true feelings? Does she feel the same? I promised my brother before he died that I would tell Nani about my feelings. He insists she feels the same as I do.''

As I sat my journal down to grab my pack of cigarettes, I grabbed my lighter and picked my journal back up. As I headed out the door, I was greeted by the clean crisp ocean breeze. I sat down on the swing as I began to write again, Nani pulled up.

"HEY CUTIE!"

That's what she always calls me

"HEYY CUTIE PIE"

I said back as she came closer. Now's my chance, I thought.

"Nani, you got a second?"

I asked her with a serious look.

"Oh no, what's wrong"

She asked as I sat down beside her on the step.

"I was just about to ask you the same thing. I know something is going on, so why don't you just tell me. I have something to tell you anyways, but I asked you first."

She looked me in my eyes and said,

"You want to know truly what my issue is?"

I looked into her eyes and said,

"Yes, yes I do."

She looked to the sky and mouthed something as if she was talking to someone. Was it my brother? Was it my aunt? Could it be her mom? Was her mom dead? She looked into my eyes, grabbed my hand and said,

"Passion, since day one I have felt something that I can't explain. Something so fierce it's like fire running through my veins. Every time I look at you there's a spark"

In my head I'm thinking "what the hell" I'm star struck. Out of ALL the things she could've said she says that.

Realization hits me

SHE FEELS THE EXACT SAME WAY AS I DO! he was right.

"Passion, what I'm trying to say is I love you. I always have, there's always been a spark between us. Your brother has always said you had the same feelings, but I never believed him. So, with this being said, Passion, will you be my girlfriend?"