85

85. It is Called Envy

Zhou Nan forced the two tall guys to sit, calm down and make clear what had happened. Zhou Nan vividly described the stories during the period when Chen Ming was gone, and he especially neglected the part where he was nearly frightened to death by Liu Ming.

Chang Baisheng sat down and rested her hands on the knees, listening to the stories with avid attention, much like a little girl who listened to grandmother’s fairy tales.

Chen Ming didn’t have the mood to listen to stories. He moved the night vision goggles onto his forehead, showing his listless eyes and expressionless face. He was not interested in Zhou Nan’s stories, and constantly urged the latter to get to the point.

“The point is!” Zhou Nan swung his arm and pointed his finger at Liu Ming, “Mr. Liu apologized very politely for having frightened me. And most importantly, he said he wants to find and help Liu Qi because Liu Qi is in danger. In conclusion, Mr. Liu is a nice ghost and is not a threat to us. We were just on our way to find Liu Qi.”

Chen Ming put his chin in his hands and paused for a moment before asking, “Finished?”

“Mmm, that’s all!” Zhou Nan seemed to be confident.

“Okay, then it’s my turn.” Chen Ming straightened up, leaned forward slightly, and asked word by word, “How do you know that he won’t kill Liu Qi?”

Zhou Nan blinked in surprise, “He… He said he wouldn’t.”

Chen Ming scoffed, “If I say I am a woman, would you also believe it?”

“Mmm…” Zhou Nan scratched his head and said with a grin, “If you are serious, I would choose to believe you…”

“Shut up.” Having finished joking, Chen Ming said, “The ghosts of people who die a violent death have strong grudges and will take revenge at all costs. Now it’s almost certain that what Liu Qi keeps is a ghost child, and he’s hiding somewhere in this forest with that thing right now. It was Liu Qi that killed you, don’t you hate him?” His last sentence was said to Liu Ming, so he turned to look at Liu Ming as he said it.

The last words were extremely cruel for Liu Ming, because the question was straightforward enough to remind him of being killed by his closest family. For this reason, Zhou Nan had always avoided asking Liu Ming such questions before, just for fear of frustrating him. But, for now, Chen Ming did not want to care about the feelings of a ghost, and he felt that Liu Ming was just a wolf in sheep’s clothing. He thought he should expose the nature of the ghost as soon as possible, and let Zhou Nan see the ghost’s true colors.

“To help is an excuse, to revenge is the real purpose, right?”

Unexpectedly, Liu Ming stayed calm, “I was not lying. I don’t hate Liu Qi. Actually, I… don’t consider him as a murderer.”

Chen Ming narrowed his eyes and glared at Liu Ming, “Don’t tell me that you even don’t know how you died to this day.”

“I know, I know everything. You and I… just have different understandings of this matter.” As he said, Liu Ming stood up, “I really don’t want to kill Liu Qi. I can’t help it if you don’t believe me. In case you still want to stand in my way, I’m not afraid to fight with you.”

“Heard that, Zhou Nan?” Chen Ming stood up as well and clenched his fist, “It was him that provoked me this time.”

Zhou Nan felt puzzled. These two guys might not have good chemistry. Why were they starting a fight again after just a few words? He hastened up and stood between the two. He thought that he had known Chen Ming for so long, so it would be easier to persuade him to compromise, “Chen Ming, Chen Ming, how about us going with Mr. Liu to find Liu Qi first? After that if you find that he was lying, you can beat him up then.”

Chang Baisheng was still sitting there, bending her head back and facing upward, as if she were watching a play.

Liu Ming seemed relaxed with his arms at his sides. He turned from Chen Ming to Zhou Nan, looked at him for a second, then turned around and left. He said nothing, but obviously he was going to find Liu Qi.

Zhou Nan reached out and tugged at Chen Ming’s sleeve, trying to please the latter, “Let’s catch up with him.”

Of course, Chen Ming would not let Liu Ming run away. But if he kept up with Liu Ming now, it meant he gave in to Zhou Nan’s proposal. If he argued with Zhou Nan, he would not look justified because he was in the wrong over this matter.

Chen Ming hesitated for a long time in this dilemma. Seeing that they were about to lose track of Liu Ming, Zhou Nan decided to catch up first.

As Zhou Nan turned around and left, Chen Ming’s expression suddenly froze.

“Benefactor, are we going?” Chang Baisheng, who had been sitting on the ground, finally got up. She stood beside Chen Ming and asked in a whisper, while craning her head to see the expression of Chen Ming.

Chen Ming turned to the other side and put on the night vision goggles again, covering his subtle expressions. It took a while before he uttered an almost inaudible word,”Well.”

Zhou Nan looked back and felt delighted that Chen Ming was following. He cleverly maintained the distances between the three of them, ensuring that Chen Ming would not fall behind and he would not lose sight of Liu Ming at the same time. However, it was not going to work for long, so he curled his fingers and shouted through the gap in between, “Mr. Liu, please wait for us!”

The night vision goggles hid the upper half of Chen Ming’s face, so that Chang Baisheng could not see his sharp eyes, but she could see his gnashing teeth.

“Benefactor?” Chang Baisheng finally called him.

“Mr. Liu, Mr. Liu all the time, sounds so annoying.” After he said it, he spat over the side.

Chen Ming didn’t know what he was fretting about. He was also aware that Zhou Nan was correct and he could believe Liu Ming for the time being. But every time he heard Zhou Nan call him “Mr. Liu”, he wanted to stuff Liu Ming’s face into the dirt.

“Sis told me that it is called envy, which is an unique emotion to humans.” Chang Baisheng, who had been silently observing Chen Ming’s responses, suddenly became serious and tried to enlighten him in her child-like tone, “A human being becomes envious when…when his or her crush…crush…I can’t remember the rest part.”

Envy?

Did I ever fuss about such petty things?

Chen Ming snorted coldly.

Chang Baisheng suddenly remembered something, patted herself on the hand cutely, and said, “It has another name– ‘jealousy’!”

As their voices became louder, Zhou Nan felt curious and turned back to see what was happening.

Chen Ming quickly covered Chang Baisheng’s mouth and darted an angry look, “Don’t talk nonsense, girl.”