In the Dead of Winter

Start from the beginning

"We do. We have another Ves's age. I'll have him look into it. Thank you for sharing, for whatever it's worth." Jimin pauses, hesitating to ask the next part. "You think it's possible other countries are okay?" Jimin asks, keeping his voice quiet. "It's not like we have the news anymore. It's been a long time, and no one's come for us, but maybe that's because they want to contain the virus. Do you think it's possible there's human life thriving somewhere? Somewhere the zombies don't exist?"

"Sounds like a fairytale," Jihyun replies, Jimin somberly nodding. After a beat, Jihyun leans forward and places his hand on top of Jimin's. "But that doesn't mean it can't be true."

Jimin meets his eyes, softly smiling and humming in agreement. The two are unsure what to say after that, Jimin flickering his eyes between the prototype cure and his little brother. It's funny, isn't it? He's holding possibly the future of humanity in his baby hand, yet all he can think of is how his brother is in front of him. The man who's been such a big influence on his life. Jihyun's so close yet so far away from him. It's as sad as it is joyous.

"I'm not here to ask you back. Or to take anyone. Or to make any threats."

"You're not here to give me this cure. You could've just slid it under our gate for us to notice. So why are you really here?" Jimin asks, leaning forward by almost an unnoticeable amount.

"I'm sorry," he says, and Jimin freezes up at the two words. Two words that have his heart in shambles, his mind torn in a terrible dilemma. "I know sorry doesn't make up for what I've done, but maybe it's a start."

"Jungkook's dead."

Jimin couldn't resist saying that, and Jihyun's face falls right away. "Oh... I'm so sorry. That's my fault, isn't it?"

"Well, I doubt Jungkook would've taken Ves to your compound if you didn't come and snatch us from our home against our wills. So yeah, that is your fault. An innocent, good man died. A doctor. Irreplaceable. And not only that, but he was my best friend." Jimin breaks off, shaking his head. "He was my brother."

Jihyun nods and glances down, tapping his fingers on the wood and nibbling on his lips. Jimin keeps watching him, not speaking anymore. Jimin's not mad at Jihyun. He can't be. At the end of the day, there's a small part of him that's still filled with giddy from seeing his younger brother. He scolds himself for it, but he knows there's nothing he can do about it. Not now. So, he sucks in a breath, about to apologize for everything. But Jihyun beats him to it.

"I came to tell you we'll never see each other again."

The words aren't what Jimin expected, and he bobs his mouth open and closed for a few beats before finding the courage to reply. "Wha... What do you mean? You're my little brother, I just got you back. I may be pissed beyond belief at you, but you're still my blood. We're Park's, we're-"

"You're a Park. You are." At Jimin's defeated glance, Jihyun runs a hand through his hair, letting his hands fall back onto the table with a 'thunk' sound. "I'm not Park Jihyun. I don't know who I am, actually. That's what I'm figuring out now. Who I am, and who I can be. Your brother died the day he decided to leave you. Jimin, you're the best thing that's ever happened to me. You were my big bro, the one who looked out for me, and no matter what, you cared. You took care of me. But what do I do in return? I take you away from your home, your friends, your lover... even your son. What type of family does that? It feels almost like it's before the apocalypse, and I'm the toxic family member who scarred you for life. With all the problems we deal with now, causing you pain was a problem you didn't need. Not from your younger brother. So... I'm letting you go."