He breathed out a long exhale, looking to his side into her cocoa-brown eyes. "So I ran away. I became a coward and I ran away, Heiran. From you. From my father's grave. From my friends. From everyone!"

His uncle had thankfully taken him in out of pity and had never been anything but kind. Each second he spent in Seoul, each time his uncle smiled at him and treated him like his own son was a blow to his heart. So he became everything he had to be. He tried to forget everything that had once held him together and everyone he left. But for God's sake, it was hard. He found himself missing every single person he had left behind. Especially her. Thankfully, Taehyung had kept in touch.

Eight years passed and slowly he was beginning to pick up the pieces. He had at last gone back to his father's grave and brought a proper cluster of white lilies for him and a bottle of Soju. He had apologized with all his heart and finally. Finally, he felt like he could breathe a little.

The night wind picked up and Heiran pulled her coat around her tight. Jungkook did the same though he longed to take her hand and feel its warmth.

"The transfer came out of nowhere. I never expected for a second as I was brought here to Jeonnam that I'd meet you again. Even when Chief Moon said your name, I couldn't believe it. I had to make sure. I had to see you. I had to know if it was you. And I did. And God, it was indeed you, Heiran. No matter how much I doubted it, I could tell from the moment I saw you. It was you."

He hung his head down, shoulders stiff with every emotion that tortured him. "But I was ashamed. I was relieved when I found out that you didn't remember me. How could I face you? After everything I had done to you?"

He sighed a long deep breath. "It was about guilt, shame, and even fear in the beginning. I panicked. I didn't know what to do. And I didn't think I could ever tell you who I was."

The sky had grown quite dark and yet the streets were lit up like a million stars had descended upon earth. "Then I discovered that you were the same as me. That you hadn't forgotten about me either. And that you were hurting to this day, haunted by my memories."

Jungkook's tearful gaze found her somber ones, once again. "I was the cause of your misery. I thought it would be better if you could forget those painful recollections. I thought it was better to start over and pretend that nothing ever happened, Heiran because I didn't want to be that guy who had hurt you, had been hurting you for the past 8 years."

Their footsteps came to a gradual pause under the leafless Gingko tree by the sidewalk.

"That's why, Ran, I never told you who I was. That's why I pretended to be a different man. I was selfish and a coward."

A beat of absolute silence passed. In the silence, it was as if every single being had sucked in their breath in anticipation of her answer. Even the buzz of the traffic on the road and the people around them faded to a muted quietness.

Heiran was quiet for a long time but when she spoke, it was a softly muttered comment to herself. "So that's the look Yoongi was talking about."

"What?"

She shook her head. "Nevermind."

And she stared, cocoa brown eyes wide open in full intensity. Jungkook felt the distinct feeling of being x-rayed under the gaze. He felt them examine his soul, reveal his deepest darkest secrets, and leave him bare. Several minutes had passed, still, Heiran hadn't spoken a word.

"Uh...say something." Jungkook pleaded.

"Oh," she blinked as if snapped out of her reverie. Then she pursed her lips. "Well, what do you want me to say? "Oh, dear Jeon Jungkook. I would have never thought. Of course, that sounds like a valid reason. I can totally understand, I misunderstood you, I never knew such horrible stuff had happened to you and I totally forgive you." Is that it?"