12

Ahn Heiran waited in front of a very modern and stylish front porch for the owner of the house to come open the door and tell her the damn reason he had disrupted her sleep and demanded that she show up at his house.

Heiran had had half a mind to toss her phone to the table and go back to sleep when she had received the text but Yoongi had been awake. She had absolutely no reason to stay in his vicinity for a second longer after the way he behaved yesterday. So she got dressed as quickly as possible and completely ignored the feline man's watchful eyes, making a point to slam the door on her way out. Yoongi looked miserable with his sleep-deprived eyes and tousled silver hair and Ahn Heiran decided that he should suffer more.

With the Yeongsan murderer's taunt lying over their heads and the media trying to arouse the public's paranoia for the sake of viewership, her temper was on the edge nowadays and even the Silent Wolf wasn't going to escape his fate for messing up her sleep. She was about to shove her finger on the doorbell again when it swung open and she was met with an unexpected sight.

Jeon Jungkook stood by the door in all his glory, rivulets of water dripping down his drenched hair, a wet towel flung over his shoulders, dressed in a gray t-shirt and sweatpants. He was immersed in some conversation on the phone before his eyes shifted to her from behind his glasses and he jolted like a rabbit.

"I swear, I had no idea! It's a complete coinciden— Oh! Ms. Ahn? I didn't know you would reach here so early. "

When the initial shock of seeing a very casual looking Silent Wolf with his glistening biceps, the fruit of years of intense workout and a bare face that looked gentler than his usual stony self and of course, not to mention, handsomer than ever ( if that was even a word ) wore off, Heiran questioned. "Why did you want to meet me here?"

It seemed as if Jungkook hadn't gotten over the shock, looking like a malfunctioning robot as a very loud gasp resonated from his phone. He muttered a quick goodbye and hung up the call. "I'm hanging up. Bye."

Scratching the back of his head as he collected himself, he held the door wide open. "Uhh, why don't you come inside and have a seat? I'll be right back after I get changed."

Heiran raised a wary eye-brow but nevertheless, conceded to his request, stepping into the house.

"Would you like anything to drink?" He asked, hurriedly walking into the living room out of her sight. Heiran hesitantly followed him inside. "No, I'm fine."

As she walked into the living room, he flinched from beside the TV and gave her a sloppy nod before rushing inside his bedroom. Heiran took a seat noting how different Jungkook looked outside the office. She half-expected him to wear the stony face all the time and go everywhere in his business attire. The casual clothes made him look more human? Also a little...suspicious.

Heiran looked around the house, having nothing better to do. It was a nice modern home, maybe even a little better than her 3rd-floor apartment but the lack of anything that revealed his private life intrigued her.

There was not a single portrait or family photo on sight. No objects of sentimental value except for the plaques and trophies of his achievements. The only thing that occupied the living room apart from the furniture, the TV, some occasional plastic plant, and a modern art painting hanging on the wall. It was a portrait of a woman, a curious black and white piece painted in a certain way that seemed to be molded out of shadows, highlighting only her best and finest features. But even more curious than the painting itself was the signature scrawled on the bottom-right corner of the painting.

Jeon Jungkook.

She didn't know the prosecutor could paint. My, my, wasn't her partner an enigma?

Heiran's eyes drifted away from the painting to explore the room, over the furniture, and the television before something caught her eyes and she paused. Something that seemed like a photo frame peeked out from behind the TV, its placement looking as though it were hastily shoved out of sight. Heiran frowned, curiosity getting the better of her as she made to walk up to it when Prosecutor Jeon frantically stumbled back inside, buttoning up his business formal as he flashed her an awkward grin that looked outright shifty. "Uh, um, if you would follow me, Ms. Ahn."

Heiran thought he was being extremely shady but followed him anyway, narrowing her eyes at his out-of-character behavior as he led her through a door that opened to the garage.

"Mr. Jeon, I still don't get why you— WHAT THE FRICKITY FRACK?!"

Heiran lost her footing on the stairs as her eyes fell on his white Sedan riddled with red spray paint parked in the garage. The word 'DIE' was spelled out on every inch of the sleek white car. She would have fallen straight on her back had it not been for Jungkook's quick reflexes.

"My feelings exactly." He murmured under his breath, straightening her back up by her arm. Not releasing the grip on her elbow, he led her to the back of the car where a very large 'Y' was sprayed on the rear window of the car.

A beat of dead silence passed before Heiran laughed out in humorless chuckles. "Are they–" she wheezed, "Are they playing some sort of sick game?"

"Looks like it." Jungkook muttered out.

Her face morphed into the scariest of scowls as she watched the letter, "You've no idea who broke into your garage?"

He shook his head, "No. Unfortunately, I had forgotten to close the shutter yesterday."

She sighed in exasperation, "Wow. Just wow. The nerve of them! Did you inform the police?"

He shook his head once again, "No, and I want you to keep this quiet, Ms. Ahn."

Heiran frowned, "Why?"

"If this goes on-air things might get out of hand. The killer... they're trying to instill fear. The public might turn against us in a panic if this gets out. They're already on the edge nowadays, thanks to the media."

Oh, how the tables have turned. The star of the masses, Silent Wolf, was now fearing public outrage. Heiran scowled in displeasure at the media. The news channels had been cooking up ridiculous theories and inflating the public into mass hysteria just for the sake of viewerships. It was a terrible idea to get them involved. It seemed as if things were really taking drastic turns.

"I'll keep this under the wraps." She reassured him.

"Appreciate it, Prosecutor." Jungkook muttered as he traced a line over the 'Y' on the back shield. An unforeseen smirk gradually graced his lips.

"But you know, Partner... they have an aggressiveness that I like."

As Heiran knotted her brows in dubiety, he grinned.

"The more they act out, the closer we get." 

A/n: Do you smell secrets in the air? Cuz I do

Someone's hiding something...

;)