17

Jeonnam Evergreen Apartments_

Heiran walked to her apartment door late in the evening only to find Yoongi already exiting the place in a hurry, slipping on his shoes. When his eyes found her, he breathed out a quick breath and walked up to her.

"Okay, Heiran. I've finally called the plumber since you conveniently keep forgetting that something in the bathroom has been leaking." Yoongi began with an edge as he tugged on the back of his shoes.

"Oh, you did? You shouldn't have~ How kind of you, dear tenant!"

Yoongi shot her a dirty look but chose to not comment. "Anyway, he is already inside working on it. I've informed him you're coming. Maybe check in on him. You'll like the surprise." He said, finally managing to secure his shoes in place and straighten his shirt. "I have to be somewhere. It might take a while."

"Where are you g—" Heiran began to question but Yoongi held up his index finger, shushing her in an instant.

"Later. Dinner's in the fridge. I've already paid him. You know my bank account number. Don't forget to take your melatonin supplements for your insomnia. Don't fall asleep on the couch. Don't drool on my carpet. Don't..." Yoongi paused, seemingly trying to think up more things Heiran should not do to add to his list when she walked inside and closed the door shut. "Bye."

Stupid Yoongi. Heiran shook her head, walking inside her bedroom to drop off her bag when she heard the noises of machinery revving inside the common bathroom. Hesitantly, she peeked inside to find the plumber working on the pipework for the bathroom sink. "Um, hello?"

At her voice, he turned around and that's when Heiran froze, eyes widening in shock. She quickly blinked the surprise out of her eyes, rearranging her expression to that of politeness. "Kim Namjoon-ssi?"

A dimpled smile lit up on the middle-aged man's tanned face as he lifted his pipe wrench in greeting, equally surprised but in a pleasant manner. He was a handsome man, though, a little past his prime. The merest trace of graying was revealed on his hair but when Kim Namjoon smiled, he did it as if he would always remain young. As if he was too pure to be tainted by the world.  "Prosecutor Ahn Heiran?"

He questioned as if he couldn't believe his eyes. Heiran tried to smile. "Y-you remember my name."

She internally reprimanded herself for the voice crack but the shock of finding Kim Namjoon, a witness she was beginning to doubt despite her former convictions about his innocence was hard to keep in check. Finding a suspect right inside her home when the skies had darkened and her trusted best friend wasn't home wasn't a good combination. A feeling of foreboding crept up her spine and chilled her bones. Heiran calmly tried to ease her racing heart.

"How could I ever forget, Prosecutor-nim?" Namjoon asked with a reminiscent smile, "You were the only one who didn't treat me like a criminal at that time. The only one who treated me as human." His voice turned deep with sincerity.

"Ah, I-'' she laughed, trying to hide her unease, "I didn't think you were the killer at that time. You looked innocent. Especially when you talked about your daughter..." Heiran shook her head trying to collect her wits. Freaking out wouldn't solve any problems at this time; it would only invite more. Besides, Namjoon wasn't the criminal. He had strong alibis. Judging him based on a minor suspicion would be too biased of her. Deciding to put a hold on her doubts for the moment, she asked. "How's Dan Ho by the way?"

"Dan Ho's doing well. She's preparing herself for Halloween tomorrow. She said she wanted to dress up like you, Prosecutor-nim." Namjoon answered with a chuckle, resuming his work on the pipes.

"Aww, that's cute." Heiran couldn't help but coo. She had seen the little preschooler several times before. She was a sweet little thing with big dreams and Heiran had found a piece of her childhood in her.