Chapter Thirteen: The Sister

Start from the beginning

"Always. She bats her eyelashes at Rafa and glares at me."

"Same thing with Aisha and Amira." Ella added. "Girls and their fathers. Who acts like that with you? Is it Sofia or Nerina?"

"Neither one. Sofia was on my team and Rei's. Nerina only plays in Reina's team." Marcelle answered.

"Each child has a favorite parent. I get Nas. You have three sons." Reli told Renée. "They call me General Hard-Ass."

"Because you're hard on them!" Renée laughed.

"Someone has to be hard on them. Rafa, back me up here. Are you soft on your boys?"

"That is a recipe for disaster." Rafa agreed. "The noose has to be tight. No leeway. Right Marcelle?"

"Absolutely no leeway. They just need an inch and they walk all over you."

"Thank you!" Reli exclaimed. "My point exactly! But Nas, she's sweet. She gets my soft side."

"She's sweet to you. She gives me attitude. Enough about the kids. Vee, do you plan to have kids?"

I looked at Marcelle first. He smiled at me. This subject about children always sparks trouble. "We want to enjoy each other's company first." I answered. It's the safest thing to say.

"Why? Do you realize he is not getting any younger?" Reli asked me. "You should be pregnant like right now!"

"Whoa! Slow down!" Marcelle warmed him.

"Dude, seven kids later, fatherhood is clockwork to you. It's easy! You've got it!" Reli continued.

A debate over fatherhood broke out among them. They have known each other all their lives. They have much to talk about. I'm just a quiet observer.

"No seriously! No! Vee, set some roots! Get pregnant! I guarantee you that you that his genes are top grade. You'll love the product." Renée  insisted.

"When the time is right I'm sure we will be blessed with children." I returned her smile.

She frowned at Marcelle with half a smile on her face. "Tell me how exactly you met this one. How? This particular kind."

"Dad played cupid." Marcelle answered.

"When has he never played cupid?" Renée asked. "She's adorable. I like her. Do you like her Charle? You're suddenly quiet."

"The General said if you have nothing good to say..." She stared at me. "... don't say anything at all."

My throat felt dry.

"The General also said give credit where it's due." Renée told her.

"We should eat!" Reli stood up suddenly to end the tension.

"Don't mind her. She always has Reina's back." Ella whispered into my ear.

And I'll just try to stay out of her path.

"Scusi, where is the bathroom?"

"Outside, down the hall." Renée informed me.

I left the group. I felt like I'm breathing after I closed the door leaving them behind. Everyone is okay other than Charles. She's not going to be nice to me. It's okay. Reina is her sister. So she must be protective of her.

I stood in front of the mirror to touch up on my face. Vienna helped me with my make up before Marcelle returned. Her hurry to leave almost seemed like she's avoiding him even though she said she's meeting her children. Marcelle is yet to ask about Vienna. I know he eventually will.

The bathroom door closed gently. Charle us standing there. I paid full attention to her. "Why are you here?" She asked me.

"Marcelle invited me."

"And you came along like you belong here."

"Have I offended you in any way?"

"Reina is trying to fix her relationship with Marcelle. She's trying to reunite her family and you're standing in the way!"

I zipped my purse.

"Charle, I am not hindering your sister from reuniting her family. I believe you mean her relationship with her children and not Marcelle."

"It includes Marcelle." She got closer. "They have been together for seventeen years. You have only known him for a year. You can walk away. You're not invested. She is. They have six children together. Why can't you be gracious enough to walk away so that she has a chance?"

"I can't walk away because I love him."

She blinked repeatedly. "And does he love you?"

"It's between us."

"Clearly he doesn't. He still loves Reina. It will always be Reina so save yourself the heartache and leave!"

"Charle, that is enough." Marcelle walked into the bathroom. "If Reina had something to say to me then tell her to day it to my face. Going behind my back and telling every else that she wants to reconnect, is pointless."

"Look dude, I'm not saying anything to her with malice. Vee, at w personal level, I have nothing against you. But I'm against this relationship. How can you move on that fast after seventeen years? How? You have children with her! You have history with her! How can you do that to her?"

"I will assume Reina only told you her side of the story. I dint feel obligated to narrate my side to you. My personal life is none of your business. Don't address my girlfriend. Do you understand me Charle?"

She left without a word.

The door slammed shut behind her.

He turned to look at me. "Summer?"

"No. I'm okay. It's just one person. I won't leave because of one person. Thank you for speaking for me."

His arms circled my waist. He kissed me tenderly. "I'll always defend you."

"Is everything okay?" Renée opened th bathroom door. "Charle and Rafa just left."

"Everything is fine. There were some things that needed to be said." Marcelle took my hand and his place beside me.

"Can I say something openly?" She entered the bathroom and closed the door.

"Sure thing." Marcelle agreed.

"A bunch of us were married around the same time you and Rei married. Addie and I were together a few days ago and we were both asking ourselves how seventeen years can end just like that. It's almost like my marriage to Reli ending or Addie and Alonso breaking up... it's almost unbelievable. But for anyone who knows what Rei has become, it's believable. Marcelle, Vittoria, you two don't owe anyone an explanation. Relationships are complicated enough without adding too many opinions. But I hope you take my advice when I tell you that you two haven't done anything wrong. Marcelle, you ended the marriage as amicably as you could. You never betrayed her and you've been more than gracious with her. You have treated her with nothing but honor and respect for the last seventeen years and I thank you for that. But it has come to an end and no one should use that marriage to hang you for choosing to move on. As for you Vee, you found a great man. Trust me, you won't regret it. Please excuse Charle. She liked you and Reina together. She's just upset."

"There are no hard feelings." I assured her.

"Please don't leave. Reli has been looking forward to this for a while. Stay."

"We will stay." Marcelle assured her.