Chapter 12

Jackson

I couldn't tell what day it was, but the starvation had me going insane. For me, being half-vampire, my body was still able to survive longer than the average Joe with zero food or water. But I still desiccate because of that vampire gene flowing in my bloodstream. My body became fragile, and my skin turned into sandpaper, even my esophagus was raw. I couldn't fully enter sleep, but it was just enough to torture me—Theodore was one ruthless fuck.

Not an inch of sunlight snuck into the holding cell, which made it that much more depressing to be in.

It was surprising, at one point, that I received a visitor in this small, four slabs of stone of hell. Noella came to sit on the floor opposite me, divided by the cell's door.

She mentioned that Ivy was adjusting well but still had to be monitored for her blood intake—they'd attached a padlock timer to her minifridge. Eventually, Ivy would hunt again, but she needed supervision with her unique eating habits for now. Noella also added, which eased my mind somewhat, that she would continue her training with Ivy.

I wished I could be there with her and finally open up about all the secrets I'd been keeping, but maybe there was a reason for it never happening. The timing was always wrong, and perhaps I should be thanking fate for that reason. Eventually, everything will come out, all the lies, and secrets, and I was more afraid of her reaction than anything.

Noella leaned her forehead against the cell door, watching me. "You look like shit."

"Thanks," I muttered. My mouth felt dryer than the Sahara Desert.

"You're on day five, you're almost there," she reminded me.

I rolled my dry eyes, trying my best not to be so bitter. "Feels like an eternity."

"Could be worse," pointed out Noella.

"Really?"

"Yeah, you could be dead."

I leaned my head back against the cold, stone wall, letting the cool surface ease some of my skin's tenderness. Noella was correct, and it pissed me off even more. Because being dead would mean I didn't have to feel all these emotions, but on the other hand, leaving Ivy behind in this cruel world stabbed at my insides. I am one fucked up guy, I thought.

"Friday, Artimis has the other council members coming down to meet Ivy," mentioned Noella.

Shakrina, the Gees Council leader, and Calypso, leader of the Aizsags Council, made the Imperium Council look like many preschoolers running the show. It was embarrassing. And having them come down to witness the extraordinary power of Ivy terrified me. They scared me because those councils look for promising members to join them. If offered a position, then Shakrina and Calypso battle it out over an auction, and whoever places the highest bid wins. It had become a sick and twisted game of theirs for over a hundred years, and somehow, they still managed to get someone new to join them every time. But I was too selfish to let Ivy go, and I would be damned before I let anyone try to stop me from taking her. Granted, I was no match in a battle against an ancient vampire, but I had other tricks up my sleeve.

Noella snapped her fingers to get my attention. "Earth to lover boy. I know what you're thinking, and it won't happen."

The reassurance was helpful, but it didn't ease my discomfort with their arrival.

"You'll be out on Friday as well, you know," stated Noella.

I counted the remaining two days in my head. "I'm aware," I mumbled.

"God, you're worse than a chick on her period," she laughed.

The reference made me cringe. "Can we be serious for a second?"