THE TERRIBLE VOW

On an auspicious day, Maharaj Shantanu crowned Devavrata as the crown prince of Hastinapur. The entire kingdom rejoiced in their prince's return. When the people knew about his brought up, they were happy that they are in good hands. Devavrata was a perfect son, he sought happiness in the service of his father. He took good care of him. Maharaj Shantanu was proud of him.

One day when Maharaj Shantanu was on his everyday routine walk on the banks of the river, he caught a scent. He never had such a scent before. It was the scent of musk. He started looking from where the scent is coming. He saw a maiden trying to catch fish in her nets. By the way of her clothes, he knew she is from a fisherman's village. When she pulled the fish out of the water, he was amazed. It was a big fish, it is tough for a maiden like her to catch. But she caught the fish. He was impressed by her stubbornness. 

When he saw her face, he was mesmerized. She was a dark complexion but beautiful woman, her eyes were in the shape of a lotus petal, and her smile was the most beautiful one. She was so happy when she caught the fish. Maharaj went near her, she saw him standing in front of her. " You look elated on catching that fish," he said. She folded her hands and said "Yes, your highness. I have been trying to catch this for a few days now."  Maharaj Shantanu asked her, her name. She replied " I am SATYAVATHI. I am from the nearby fisherman's village." 

Maharaj Shantanu fell in love with her. After years, he wanted to spend the rest of his life with someone. And he wanted her to be the one. He didn't waste any moment he asked her directly for her hand in marriage. Satyavathi was surprised for a moment, but she composed herself and told him "Your highness, if you want to marry me, you have to speak with my father. He is the chief of the fisherman village." saying that she left the place.

Sathyavathi was born to a Chedi King named Uparichara Vasu and Adrika. She also has a twin brother named Matsya, who was the founder of the Matsya kingdom.  But king Uparichara left her girl child with the fisherman. The chief of the fisherman village, Dashraj adopted her and raised her like his own daughter.

Maharaj Shantanu and a few of the courtiers went to the village. They went to the Chief's home. He sought the hand of Satyavathi for marriage. But Dashraj laid a condition before him. Only if Maharaj Shantanu makes Satyavathi's children ascend the throne after him. He will let Satyavathi marry him. Shantanu was shocked, he already have a son, Devavrata and he also made him the crown prince. He is the one fit to rule the Hastinapur kingdom. He rejected Dashraj's proposal and returned to the palace.

Days went by, and Maharaj Shantanu's health started to decline. He couldn't eat well or sleep well. Devavrata noticed his father's untold sadness. He enquired about it with the courtiers. From them, he learned about his love for Sathyavathi and the condition laid by her father.

He went to the village and spoke with the Chief. The Chief stood firmly with his proposal.

At last, Devavrata took a knife from his pocket and cut his palms, and dripped his blood on the rushing river Ganga. He said, " I Devavrata hereby taking an oath of celibacy. I will not ascend the throne nor any of my descendants. As you wish Chief Dashraj, your daughter will be the Maharani of Hastinapur and her children will ascend the throne after my father. I will be at their service just as I am now for my father." Hearing his word Dashraj and Satyavathi were shocked. Maharaj Shantanu who rushed after him after learning where he went, heard his oath and was dumbfounded. "What have you done Devavrata? Why would you do this?"

Devavrata took his father's hand and said "I always find happiness in yours, father. I couldn't bear the sight of you being sad. I wanted you to be happy. Now you can marry her." Maharaj Shantanu was both hurt and proud by the actions of his son. He hugged him tightly and said, "You done a very big thing for me my son. I give a boon. Death will never get you until you wish for it. From this day the world will know you by the name BHISHMA."  

Maharaj Shantanu married Satyavathi and made her Maharani of Hasthinapur. And they had two sons. The eldest one CHITRANGADA and the younger one VICHITRAVIRYA. 

Soon after after the birth of his second son, Maharaj Shantanu died.