Chapter 12

Chapter 12 is finally out! Sorry for the long wait, but please enjoy!

"I have no idea what you're talking about!" Lily said, sounding much braver than she felt. As soon as Lily said this, something seemed to pass across Eric, the security wizard's, face. Lily had never wished to be anyone else in her whole life, but now she would give anything to just be that witch behind her with too much makeup on.

Eric suddenly seemed to understand what was going on, and immediately straightened up and said, "Oh, of course, silly me. All right, you're all set, you can go." He quickly ushered Lily away, and, seeing the confused and curious looks on the passersby' faces, she quickly hurried off, following Tonks.

"What happened over there?" Lily asked Tonks, panting.

Still speed walking, Tonks replied, "Hmm... I'm not sure. I know I demand- told him to let you pass, but you know, he's quite forgetful. Anyway, we better hurry." She led Lily to the lift and pressed the down button, and the two of them waited with the crowd for the lift to arrive.

When the doors of the lift finally opened, Tonks pulled Lily into the crowded lift, and it descended slowly to the lower level. The cool female voice -the same as the one in the telephone booth- rang again, informing the witches and wizards in the lift, "Level seven, Department of Magical Games and Sports, incorporating the British and Irish Quidditch League Headquarters, Official Gobstones Club, and Ludicrous Patents Office."

The lift's doors opened, and a few people walked out, as some magical envelopes in a pale, violet colour and 'MINISTRY OF MAGIC' stamped on the outside flew in. The doors closed again as the envelopes flapped around, and the lift continued descending. As it stopped at the next level, the female voice spoke again. "Level six, Department of Magical Transport, incorporating the Floo Network Authority, Broom Regulatory Control, Portkey Office, and Apparition Test Centre."

Again, a few people, as well as some envelopes, stepped out of the lift as it began moving slowly downwards again."Level five, Department of International Magical Cooperation, incorporating the International Magical Trading Standards Body, the International Magical Office of Law, and the International Confederation of Wizards, British Seats." The crowd thinned as many witches and wizards moved out of the lift.

"Level four, Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures, incorporating Beast, Being, and Spirit Divisions, Goblin Liaison Office, and Pest Advisory Bureau." As soon as the female voice spoke, an unfortunate wizard with a strange, large bird pecking nonstop at his bald head practically ran out of the lift. The people in the lift seemed to breathe a sigh of relief together as the lift descended once again.

"Level three, Department of Magical Accidents and Catastrophes, including the Accidental Magic Reversal Squad, Obliviator Headquarters, and Muggle-Worthy Excuse Committee." The cool female voice informed the rest of the people and memos in the lift. Most of the memos left the lift at this stop, and a good number of witches and wizards left as well.

"Level two, Department of Magical Law Enforcement, including the Improper Use of Magic Office, Auror Headquarters, and Wizengamot Administration Services." At this, Tonks pulled Lily out of the lift, 'This is our stop, Lily!'

Tonks led Lily down the corridor of level two until they reached a plain door with the name 'TONKS' engraved in gold on the front. She pushed open the door to reveal a small, crowded but cosy room, filled with dark detectors, mostly sneakoscopes.

Tonks made her way to her desk, but tripped and sent an umbrella stand flying. "Oops!" She said cheerfully, getting up and brushing herself off. Then she straightened the stand and took a seat at the desk, motioning for Lily to join her. Lily followed Tonks to the desk and took a seat across from her.