xvi. Disbelief and Dishonor

♛

SNOW AND NAMJOON'S return to the saloon car was a cue for a few of the passengers to disperse, such as Seokjin, who needed to go to his cabin to calm down. Taehyung went to use the bathroom.

Yoongi watched as Snow walked over to him, her face nearly pale and her mind clearly in deep thought. He sat up, reaching for her hand. She nearly jumped at the touch, concerning the man. "Is everything alright, sweetheart?"

Snow blinked, glancing around and seeing the other passengers busy with their own activities. "Could we talk somewhere? Perhaps y-your cabin?"

Yoongi firmly nodded, standing up and following her out of the saloon car. He did not know what she needed to talk to him about, or why her pulse was quick under his fingertips. He could only think of one reason.

They made their way into Yoongi's cabin, Snow closing the door behind her. The man smirked, stepping toward her, ready to reach for her waist. "Were you waiting until we were alone, sweetheart? I missed your touch, too," he whispered, his lips ghosting over hers.

Snow fell under his gaze for a moment, nearly hypnotized until she recalled what she had seen. In the spur of her fear, she shoved him off, and watched him stumble onto his feet. He looked at her, confused and with concern laced in his soft features.

"Snow? What's wrong?"

Her breath hitched. "D-Do you have something to do with Hyunwoo's murder?"

Yoongi froze, his eyebrows deeply furrowing. "W-What?"

"I'm not going to repeat myself," Snow spat, trying to mask her imminent fear. 

"Sweetheart," he said softly, walking up to her steadily. "They caught the captive, hell, he's in a locked cabin."

Before Yoongi could take another step, Snow stepped out, pushing him until he was pinned on the wall, wincing from the impact as he grunted. She pulled out the white handkerchief, pressing it against his chest with a trembling hand. He caught it, and she pushed off of him with utter terror in her eyes. Yoongi eyed the handkerchief curiously, holding it in his fingers.

"Why did I find that in the suite?"

"Snow, sweetheart," Yoongi nearly let out a scoff. "Many men will own the same handkerchief once in their lifetime."

"You had it the night we were at the bar. I-It smells like whiskey," Snow pointed out with a shortening breath. "It's yours."

Yoongi stared at her, more shocked than offended. "I was by your side the entire night, you know that."

"But I don't know that!" she cried. "I was drunk, or at least I thought I was. Y-You used the drug on me, huh? You put it in my whiskey somehow, so—I—I would fall asleep, and I wouldn't hear you get up and murder him!" she blabbered, her emotions taking over as frustrated, confused tears formed in her eyes.

Yoongi paused, standing up straighter as he looked at her with an unreadable expression. The silence was deafening.

"And so what if I did?" he said. "He deserved to pay for everything he's done. To you, too."

Snow felt her heart drop to her stomach, the lump in her throat growing. She stared at him with pure fear, shock, and betrayal. She took a step back, her eyes wide as she tried to search for the man she knew in his eyes—she couldn't. She couldn't recognize him.

"Y-You..." she choked. "You're a liar. And a murderer. I can't believe I let myself fall for you," she sobbed, putting her shaking hand over her mouth.

Yoongi shook his head gently, his heart cracking at the sight of her trembling in fear because of him. "I did not lie to you about anything. I have never lied to you. You mean more to me than you know."

"You drugged me!" she rose her voice, her voice echoing in the cabin. "Y-You used me!"

"That was before I fell for you, sweetheart—"

"Don't call me sweetheart!" Snow yelled, making Yoongi flinch and step back. She covered her mouth immediately, holding back her sobs as she looked at the man she once knew.

A beat of silence passed. "So, you're going to tell Namjoon?" Yoongi asked in a low voice.

Snow whimpered. "I have to."

"No, you don't," he offered gently, walking toward her. She covered her eyes as she shrunk in front of him. He placed his hands on her waist, making Snow flinch at his touch and tremble further. "We can get off of this train together. We can live a life and put this behind us."

Snow slowly took her hands off of her face, looking up at him with teary eyes, which tugged at Yoongi's heartstrings. "I wanted that more than anything. I wanted you," her voice broke. "But I cannot live a lie like this. I'd rather die than live with dishonor."

Yoongi let out a yelp as Snow collided her knee into his crotch, making him bend over in pain. It gave her the chance to run out of his cabin and down the corridor, her sobs echoing in her ears. She fumbled with the door of the dining car, finally swinging it open, looking behind her shoulder to see if she was being followed, or chased. She could see her death looming, her body spread onto the floor of the dining car with a bullet in her back, shot by the man she once would have lived for.

Snow shrieked when she collided with a chest in the middle of the dining car after turning around, immediately widening her eyes at the being. It was Namjoon, a concerned look on his face as he held her in place.

"I'm glad you're safe. I have been looking for you," Namjoon said.

"Namjoon, he—I—Yoongi, h-he was involved," she hiccuped. "I found his handker—kerchief in the suite, h-he's involved."

"I know," Namjoon nodded calmly. "Let's go to the saloon car," he said before motioning toward a few staff members, getting past them in order to go to the cabin car. Namjoon helped Snow down the aisle and into the saloon car. Upon seeing her state, Hoseok stood up, immediately going to her and taking her from the detective.

"What the hell happened?" Seokjin widened his eyes as he glanced at the girl, a bit concerned. Snow sat onto a couch in the middle of the car, across from Jimin and Taehyung and next to Hoseok who comforted her as best as he could, rubbing her back as she steadied her breaths.

Coming inside from the same door was Yoongi, looking disheveled with two staff members holding him in place. He immediately searched for Snow, and when they met eyes, Yoongi could see the pain and hatred in hers—a combination he never wanted to see from her. And he was the cause.

"What's going on?" Taehyung asked when he saw Yoongi.

Coming inside from the door across the car was Jungkook, two staff members holding him in place as well. At the sight of him, Seokjin turned to Namjoon in anger.

"What the hell is he doing here?"

Namjoon looked at the staff members holding Jungkook. "You can let him go. Mr. Jungkook is innocent."