Bruises - Avengers - Tony Stark x Reader

Start from the beginning

Carefully, he unscrewed the cap of the bottle. The heady scent of the fine liquor filling his sense, as he poured himself a large glass, and looked at it. Time. What was it about time? On one hand it could be fleeting, passing quicker than you wanted it to. On the other, a moment could seem to last a lifetime. Sometimes you wished that you could turn it back so that you could return to special moments in your life. And then other times you longed to be able to make it go forward so that you didn't have to face your current situation. But no matter what we may think or want, time is a law unto itself, and there was nothing that any of us could do to alter that. Well, that was what Tony had always thought. Yet (Y/n) had somehow managed to defy that rule. She had managed to stop it and turn it back the hands of the clock in one foul swoop, just by smiling at him.

Their relationship had started off innocuous enough. The discrete touch of a hand. A secret smile here and there. Then the next thing he knew, they were in her bed. (Y/n)'s body writhing under his as she moaned out his name, begging him not to stop. And Tony had done the one thing that he never thought he would do. He lost his heart.

When she had been injured on a job, he thought that he would go insane. That if she died, then he wanted nothing more than to join her. That life wasn't worth living if (Y/n) wasn't in the world anymore. Yet when he had burst through the doors of the hospital, she had been alive. Badly hurt, but alive. And Tony had decided that there was no better time than then to tell her how he really felt. To ask her the question that he had wanted to ask her, for the whole time that they had been together. Yet, when he had asked her the question, she had said, no. And so, the bruises had been permanently beaten into his heart. Bruises that were once again fresh and painful.

He knew that he shouldn't have blamed her. She had had a glittering career. She was younger than him by a number of years, with a fantastic life ahead of her. And she had tried to explain her decision. Tried to tell him that she loved him as much as he loved her. But they had made her an offer that she would have been an idiot to refuse. An offer that he knew that he couldn't compete with. That even his billions couldn't give her. So, when he had left the hospital, he had gone back to her apartment and cleaned out his stuff before he had to face her again. Before she could bruise him anymore. And then he had crawled into a bottle. Not giving a damn about anything anymore. And here he was again. The same screwed up fool, feeling sorry for himself. Happy to throw everything away again in an attempt to heal the bruises. So, what would be his decision? The bottle or the bruises. The bruises or the bottle.

                                                        >>---------------------------------<<

"So, now you know." (Y/n) sighed, as she looked at Fury. The agent feeling rather strange about giving such intimate information, to the cold looking director. Though as he sat across from her, it was as if she was confessing all of her sins to a patient priest. The director nodding understandingly at all the right moments, as she informed him of a life that she was no longer sure had been hers.

"When I was released from the hospital and got home, he had taken all his things, and I never saw him again. He didn't leave a note. Never called. Never anything. I tried to see him. To call him, but..........All I could do in the end, was cry myself to sleep every night. Eat my body weight in ice cream. And then when I fully recovered, I went to start my new job. Despite everything, all his promises, I knew that he would want me to give up what I did. He had always said that he would give me a job at Stark Industries. But I knew that it would only end up being some kind of token to appease me for a while. That in the end, he would get too involved with something else, and I would find myself in the purgatory of being one of those bored housewives who go shopping while their husbands are off, too busy screwing their secretaries to care. I never wanted his money. I would have loved him even if he had been a penniless no one. Most other people saw his as an arrogant jackass. Yet with me, he was always the sweetest, most loving man. But as much as I loved him, and I thought that he loved me, I always had a nagging feeling that one day he would end up bored of me. He would find himself someone younger, prettier. Then I would be out in the cold, no career, no money, no hope. So, I did the only thing I could at the time. I said, no. Despite my own plans to ask......... I regretted my decision for a long time. Hated myself for a long time. But when I started seeing the news about him going back to his big playboy lifestyle, with a different girl on his arm every party. I realised that he had moved on. That he hadn't cared as much as I thought he had. Then I was relieved. Better to have cut the ties then, than be hurt later." (Y/n) explained. Trying as discretely as possible, to wipe the tears from her eyes.

200 Multifandom One ShotsOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara