The fountain of knowledge - LotR - Lord Elrond x Reader

Elrond placed another book atop the already teetering pile of tomes that sat precariously on his desk. He had spent days searching through every book and manuscript that Rivendell housed. Every foxed and dog eared piece of vellum had been checked and double checked. Yet none of his vast collection had given him an answer.

He had found a tattered and torn manuscript, some time ago. A beautifully written and expertly illustrated manuscript, that he had never seen before. Within it was a legend, an ancient eleven legend that spoke of the sun and the moon. Of the stars and the black blanket of night. Yet when he had come to the end, the last page had been missing. Torn from its binding. The lost sheet denying the half-eleven lord, the answer to the true origins of the Valar. And since that moment, he had been searching for the missing leaf. Searching for anything that would give him the knowledge that he desired.

With a heavy sigh, Elrond leaned back into his chair. His eyes closing as he rubbed his temples, trying to soothe the dull ache in his head that had been growing all day. He had always prided himself on being intelligent. On having knowledge of a vast array of subjects. Yet he knew that he didn't know everything. He knew that there was only one creature in the whole of Middle earth that could claim that. And that being was the one that all called the 'Fountain of knowledge'. Though, those that knew her well enough, were permitted to call her (Y/n).

The Fountain was a secretive creature that lived in a small, yet impressive dwelling that was hidden behind one of the great waterfalls of Elrond's kingdom. No one could claim to know where she had come from. In truth, no one was old enough to remember that far back. And no one knew exactly what she was. To all, she seemed similar to the elves with whom she lived. Appearing as elegant and tall as any other elleth. Yet, she was different in other ways. Her ears were longer and more pointed. Her hearing and eyesight sharper than any other elf that Elrond had ever met. And her eyes appeared jet black, yet within them were a trillion lights, with a swirl of colour that spoke of something otherworldly. That spoke of the Aratar.

Over his long life, Elrond had been to consult the Fountain, many times. Her little home drawing him, as well as the many visitors that came to Rivendell from far and wide, to find out the answers to their questions. And each time that he had seen her, he was sure that she had grown more beautiful. More exquisite. As if time and the years meant nothing. The Fountain only becoming more perfect with every passing second. Recently, he had found himself calling on her more often. Not with any question. Not because he required knowledge that only she had. But because she had the ability to make him smile. The gift of making him laugh. The capability of making him feel less alone. Elrond always feeling as though he were young again, as soon as he set foot over her hearth.

Slowly, he opened his eyes. Turning his gaze to the sky that lay beyond the great windows. The sun was beginning to set, bathing his realm in a wonderful orange and red glow. If he was going to call on the Fountain, then there was no better time. She would have tea brewing. The pleasant smell of honey cakes would be filling the air. And he knew that she would always have a cup waiting, just in case he appeared for one of his impromptu visits.

Elrond rose from his chair, his hand reaching out for the manuscript that had caused his current state of confusion. He doubted that he needed it. The lord sure that as soon as he mentioned the tale, (Y/n) would instantly be able to give him the answers that he so craved. Yet he felt a need to show her it.

Quietly, Elrond made his way from his chambers. The lord nodding in greeting to the others that were making their way through the gardens, so that they could enjoy the last warm light of the day. He had always noticed that (Y/n) wasn't one for the sun. She seemed to prefer the night. The shimmer of the countless, diamond like stars. The glow of the great celestial night-time orb, seeming, if it were possible, to make the Fountain, all the more exquisite.