𝓲𝓲 ── 𝘥𝘰𝘰𝘮

· · ─────── · 𝘋𝘖𝘖𝘔𝘌𝘋 · ─────── · ·

002. TWO : doomed

HAYMITCH ABERNATHY was stood in front of a large screen while Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark waited for the man to do a rundown of the tributes in order to decide who they would consider allies and who they would consider enemies

Haymitch warned the pair that this game was going to be like no other. Instead of people who had no idea what they were getting into, this game would be full of experienced killers. The pair were also at a disadvantage as they were the newest victors meaning that they had no connections.

The first pair appeared on screen, both with dazzling smiles. "District 1. Cashmere and Gloss. They're brother and sister and won back-to-back games. They're Capitol favourites which means that they'll have a lot of sponsors. Career pack too, so expect them to be lethal."

Haymitch watched Katniss and Peeta nod before moving on to the next pair. "This is the other half of the career pack, Brutus and Enobaria."

Peeta's eyes widened as Katniss's eyes narrowed. "What's up with her teeth?" The raven-haired girl asked, noticing their unnatural shape.

Haymitch's face remained expressionless as he spoke. "She had them shaped into fangs so that she could rip people's throats out."

After a moment of silence, Peeta spoke. "Well, she's committed. I'll give her that."

Haymitch nodded in agreement before he showed them the next pair. "District 3. Wiress and Beetee. Now, they're not fighters, but they are brilliant. Also weird, real tech maniacs. Beetee won his games by electrocuting six people at once."

Haymitch then switched the screen again, this time, both Peeta and Katniss perked up. "Finnick Odair. He's a Capitol sweetheart. And extremely humble."

Katniss looked up at Haymitch skeptically. "You're kidding."

"Of course, I'm kidding. He's a total peacock. He won his games at fourteen and was the youngest to ever win." Haymitch pointed to Valencia next. "Until Valencia Callisto. She won her games at thirteen, which surprised almost everybody. She is a stone-cold killer and is just cynical enough not to care about hurting you."

Katniss rolled her eyes. "She sounds special."

"She is. She was one hell of a victor. At thirteen years of age, she killed almost half of the tributes in her games. Again, stone-cold killer." Haymitch told them, but Katniss wasn't impressed.

"And?"

Haymitch tilted his head at the girl's ignorance and crossed his arms. "Katniss, have you got any clue as to why they call her Doom?"

The raven-haired girl shook her head. "No."

"If you so much as looked at her in that arena, you could best your ass that she was going to be the last eyes that you ever saw. She's practically death herself." Haymitch told them. While Peeta was attentive, Katniss was picking at her fingernails.

"Big deal. What are her weaknesses?"

"She doesn't have any," Haymitch informed her, almost proud of the fact.

"None? How?"

"I told you, she's not to be messed with. They're both charming, smart and cunning. Finnick is skilled underwater and uses a trident while Valencia is known for adapting to pretty much any weapon she can acquire, but she seems to favour knives and daggers. Cross them, and they could be the deadliest duo in that arena."

Valencia sat alone on the train, looking out of the window. The brunette knew that if she slept, she would scream herself awake so she thought it best to prolong the hours that she was awake. She couldn't believe that she was back on the train, heading to the Capitol, the one place that she absolutely hated. She couldn't believe that she thought they were safe.

When she felt eyes on her, she turned around, only to find Finnick looking at her, leaning in the doorway. The brunette smiled as she spoke. "Hey."

"Hey, yourself. Couldn't sleep?" Finnick approached her, sitting next to her as she turned so that she was facing him.

"I haven't tried. I've not been able to sleep properly since the games. And now, we have to relive them." Valencia sighed, putting her head in her hands. "We were never safe, were we?"

Finnick shook his head, his face void of emotion. "No, and I personally think that we were stupid for thinking that we were."

Valencia threw her head back as she chuckled softly. "It's funny. If you had told a younger version of me that I'd not only win the 67th Hunger Games and-"

"Replace my spot as the youngest winner ever." Finnick interrupted, causing Valencia to look over at him with a smirk.

"Oh, someone's still salty about that. You better pop a sugar cube in there, balance it out." The Callisto girl laughed but scoffed when Finnick held one up.

"Way ahead of you, Val." He winked at her before placing it in his mouth and chewing it.

"As I was saying, if you had told a younger version of me that I'd not only win the 67th Hunger Games but be going back to the 75th Hunger Games, I would've thought you were hopped up on something."

Finnick reached over to hold her hand, rubbing his thumb against her skin. "It'll be alright, Val. I taught you well, didn't I?"

"You're ever so humble, Odair. But yes, you taught me well." Valencia replied, looking into his eyes.

"We've got each other, we'll make it." He assured her, wishing that he could believe his own words. Valencia placed her head on Finnick's shoulders, and before she knew it, she had fallen asleep.

The blond carried the brunette to her bed and with a kiss on her forehead, left her room.

◤ ──┅┅┄┄*ೃ:.✧✲゚*。⋆─── ⋆✩⋆

author's note: i've already written so much of this book and i am so in live with finnick and val, that it's borderline unhealthy.