𝓲 ── 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘱𝘪𝘯𝘨

· · ─────── · 𝘋𝘖𝘖𝘔𝘌𝘋 · ─────── · ·

001. ONE : doomed

UNFORTUNATELY, THE DAY OF THE REAPING HAD ARRIVED

UNFORTUNATELY, THE DAY OF THE REAPING HAD ARRIVED. Valencia was scanning her living room with a small smile on her face. She wasn't one to back down from a fight, or surrender because the odds were against her. However, she also knew to be realistic.

In her last games, she was up against people that could barely hold a knife properly, let alone kill her. Valencia also didn't know them, which made killing them easier for her. This time, she could be going up against allies. Friends. Which made it all the harder for her.

The 67th Hunger Games had impacted her in a way that she didn't even know she could be impacted. That arena changed her. From a smiling, innocent little girl, to the cold-hearted weapon that she was known as now. People from the Capitol practically worshipped the ground that she walked on. They worshipped a killer. They had no idea that by winning the Hunger Games, you were actually losing them. And now, she was more than likely going to do it all over again.

Valencia's head turned when she heard Victoria walking towards her, reaching her arms out to hung her younger sister. "Val, you'll be okay."

Valencia nodded against her sister's arm, despite believing the complete opposite. "Yeah. So will you. We should go." The brunette told her sister, reluctantly pulling away from her.

Victoria nodded, and took hold of her sister's hand. Once they walked out of their house, Valencia looked back at her home, her face showing no emotion before turning away and leaving.

Once the Callisto sisters reached their porch, Valencia was taken aggressively taken from Victoria by the Peacekeepers, one of them placing their hand on her back and guiding her. Valencia yanked her arm out of their grips with a growl. "Get your damn hands off of me."

The Peacekeepers glanced at each other before following her words, making Valencia smile to herself. The brunette looked around the Victor's Village of District Four and saw that the other victors were being treated the same, being aggressively dragged from their homes and frowned.

The fact that they were in Victor's Village should've meant that they were immune to this. They had killed people to survive. To live. All for nothing.

The Callisto girl knew that this Reaping was going to be different than any other, security wise. Her cold, calculated eyes noticed that the number of Peacekeepers stationed around them was significantly larger than it had been back when she was thirteen.

A moment later, Valencia found herself sat in the middle of the other two living female tributes from District Four. Mags Flanagan and Annie Cresta. The former of the two, Mags, was an older woman, who seemed to ease not only Valencia's nerves, but everyone else's. The latter of the two, Annie, was a friendly girl but unfortunately, after she won her games, rumours spread about her going insane.

Soon, the escort of District Four, Ruby Caddel, walked onto the stage and practically blinded everyone by how bright her clothes were. The bright shade of red that her dress was combined with the shade of green that her hair reminded Valencia of a watermelon. An extremely bright watermelon.

"Welcome, welcome! As we celebrate the 75th anniversary and 3rd Quarter Quell of the Hunger Games!" Ruby smiled, her eyes scanning the crowd in front of her. "As always, ladies first."

Valencia's heart hammered in her chest, her eyes locking with Victoria's. The older girl had a stoic expression on her face, but Valencia knew that her heart rate was probably faster than her's.

Ruby practically floated over to the large glass bowl, with only three little slips of paper in it. The Callisto girl let out a breath when she felt Mags hold her hand, trying to comfort her. Valencia then did the same with Annie, who smiled thankfully.

After what felt like years, Ruby's voice rang out again. "The female tribute from District 4 is Valencia Callisto!"

When Valencia felt both Annie and Mags beginning to rise from their seats, she stopped them, turning her head to look at them both. "No. Don't." She whispered, quickly squeezing both of their hands affectionately.

Letting go of their hands, Valencia stood with her head held high to seem confident as she walked towards Ruby, who's smile faltered for a moment before she recovered. "Beautiful. Now, for the men."

While Ruby walked over to the other glass bowl, Valencia noticed Victoria, who was wiping her eyes. When their eyes met, Victoria nodded slightly which was her way of assuring Valencia that she would be alright.

A moment later, Ruby walked back over to the microphone. "The male tribute from District 4 is Finnick Odair."

Valencia looked over at Finnick and winked, and received a soft smirk back. The duo had grown close, so Valencia despised the fact that she was being forced to go into the games with him.

Finnick took her hand, to signify strength the crowd, but in reality, it was a way to comfort Valencia. Ruby placed her hands on Valencia and Finnick's shoulders with a smile. "May I present, your tributes for the 75th annual Hunger Games."

Valencia looked at Victoria once more, before her and Finnick were dragged inside the Justice Building by the Peacekeepers, not even getting to say goodbye this time.

This felt immensely harder for Valencia. Last time, she was killing strangers. People she didn't know. This time, Valencia would be killing friends.

Unknown to her, a rebellion was on the rise and this was just the beginning.

◤ ──┅┅┄┄*ೃ:.✧✲゚*。⋆─── ⋆✩⋆

author's note: let the hunger games begin!! so, val has been reaped along with finnick. i was debating on having mags or annie being reaped and then having val volunteer, but i went the other way. i hope you enjoyed!!