zéro

· · ─────── · 𝘋𝘖𝘖𝘔𝘌𝘋 · ─────── · ·
┊┊⋆ act one - the unbalanced odds❞
000. ZÉRO : doomed

Valencia Callisto was a bright girl

Valencia Callisto was a bright girl. A social butterfly who always seemed to know how to get on people's good sides. After her parents died, the girl was raised by her older sister, Victoria. Victoria was the one to tell Valencia about the Hunger Games. Explaining just how horrific they were, and assured her that she would never be chosen. Unfortunately for Valencia, Victoria was wrong.

Valencia met Finnick on the train to the Capitol. As she was reaped for the 67th Hunger Games at just thirteen years of age, she felt a slight comfort knowing that Finnick, who was only three years older than her, knew what she was going through and that he was going to be the one to teach her.

Almost everyone, including Valencia herself, thought that she would die in that arena, but she surprised them when she emerged victorious, having killed almost half of the twenty-three other tributes in the arena. Finnick, on the other hand, wasn't surprised at all. During her training, he knew that the girl was going to be a force to be reckoned with. And she was. The brunette beauty found that she knew how to hit them where it hurt. How to prolong an enemy's injury, causing them a slow painful death, if she particularly disliked them. How to break someone's bone. All of these skills came naturally to her, making her absolutely lethal.

Replacing Finnick's title as the youngest winner ever of the Hunger Games, she quickly became well known and adored throughout the Capitol. She was nicknamed Doom, due to the fact that if someone happened to have spotted her in the arena, her dark brown eyes would be the last that they would ever see.

After her games, at age fourteen, Valencia became a mentor to other District Four tributes along with Finnick and the duo became the talk of the Capitol. Finnick warned her not to get attached to any of them as the odds were more often than not, against them. She would never show it, but as their tributes died one by one, pieces of her were dying with them. Guilt gnawed away at her, and the only justification she had was that she had to do it to live. By being reaped, she had to kill or be killed.

And she chose to kill.

Her dark brown eyes clashed with the dull palette of the surroundings. Although dreary looking, nothing brought the girl joy as gazing out at the open ocean did. Now twenty-one, Valencia Callisto's chest rose and lowered as she took a deep breath, in and out, savouring the scent of the beach she stood on. Her eyes were ripped from the ocean as the sound of lightning made itself known, prompting her to walk back to her house. What Valencia failed to recognise was the accuracy of the weather, symbolising the horrific event that was about to occur.

The victor of the 67th Hunger Games made her way home, her mind racing. Her games haunted her, every single second. If she didn't wake up screaming during the night, the mental images were eating away at her mind during the day. Out of the twenty-four people that went into that arena, she was the only survivor. Valencia hadn't killed all of them, but she took her fair share of lives, creating guilt. Guilt that she couldn't afford to display.

Valencia and Victoria settled onto the couch, waiting for the Quarter Quell, which was being televised, to begin. Valencia's leg bounced up and down, her nerves getting her best. It wasn't until Victoria placed her hand on her sister's knee that she stopped and instead, Valencia held onto her older sister's hand. Her stomach churned, trying to think of ways that President Snow might retaliate. When the television lit up, Valencia sat up and clenched her jaw when she saw his face.

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is the 75th year of The Hunger Games. And it was written in the charter of The Games that every 25 years, there would be a Quarter Quell to keep fresh for each new generation the memory of those who died in the uprising against The Capitol."

Victoria held Valencia's hand tighter, trying to be a source of comfort while the younger Callisto kept her eyes on the television screen.

"Each Quarter Quell is distinguished by Games of a special significance. And now on this, the 75th anniversary of our defeat of the rebellion, we celebrate the 3rd Quarter Quell as a reminder that even the strongest cannot overcome the power of The Capitol. On this, the 3rd Quarter Quell Games, the male and female Tributes are to be reaped from the existing pool of Victors in each district."

At those words, Valencia shut her eyes and took a deep breath before opening them again, a single tear rolling down her left cheek. Victoria's voice sounded far away as she protested against what had just been said. Valencia's dark brown eyes became darker as she stared at Snow's smirk.

So much for the odds being in their favour.

╰─➛✎﹏ | author's note ! .°• ੈ♡₊˚•.
here's a short little prologue for you guys, just to get a short overview of who valencia is and everything that she did from her hunger games up to the announcement of the quarter quell. i hope you enjoyed!!