Ch. 54 - The morning after

Beginne am Anfang

"Gary."

"Gary?"

"Gary Morgan, ma'am."

"Gary Morgan," she repeated, now standing within reach of the gate and the man. "Well listen, Gary, I have a proposition for you that I think you'll find enticing."

"What's that?"

"Why don't you come inside, I'll tell you all you need to know."

~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~

*The show is over. Keanu is in front of the club, packing up equipment with Rob and Brett. They carry a large speaker to a waiting Ford F150 truck in front. He changed out of his soaked black t-shirt and now has a flannel button down, a brown corduroy jacket and a navy beanie on his head. The sidewalk in front of the entrance is crowded by women of various ages, trying to act as though it's normal to stand outside for an hour in the brisk November air. He shoves the speaker into the bed of the truck, then turns around, pretending there aren't camera flashes and giggling teenagers lining his route.

A co-ed in a blue flannel shirt giggles as he walks by, reaching out to touch him as though he were public property. "I can't get enough of you, I'm sorry," she says, unapologetically.

He continues on his path.

"We all love you," her friend in a worn, black tank calls out.

He pushes on, back to the entrance of the club to dutifully grab another load of equipment. He is blocked by a small crowd full of big hair and dark-rimmed eyes.

"Hi," a shy woman to his left ekes out.

"Hi," he replies, his empathy kicking in as he stops to sign a few autographs.

The busy Hollywood Boulevard is filled with honks and the heavy sounds of motors flying by. Everyone surrounding the entrance starts to close in, making casual conversation twice as loud as is necessary, acting nonchalant, hoping to be discovered by this hot, young star.

Desperate for some sort of connection, another hopeful shouts out the only thing that comes to her mind. "Are you right-handed? Are you left-handed?"

"Thank you," one fan replies as he hands his now signed headshot back, offering a small wave.

The bouncer holds the door open for him and he tunnels through. A few ambitious women try to follow, but the stacked man pivots, standing, stone-faced, in front of the door. Keanu re-emerges, carrying another large speaker with Rob. After signing yet another autograph, this time using a fan's back to leave his mark on a Dogstar t-shirt, he jogs into the club once more.

A few minutes later he exits again, carrying his guitar in a case. He looks light, happy even, surprisingly unperturbed by the hangers-on still trying to hang on.

"Where are you going, Keanu?"

"I'm going home."

"Where's the after-party at?"

"I've no idea."

He finds himself stuck amongst the crowd, waiting for his ride. Finally a maroon convertible pulls around to the front of the club and he steps forward, a sparkle in his eye as he hands his guitar to the driver and climbs into the backseat where Sandra is waiting.

She has a Dogstar ball cap pulled low over her brow, now, and her chin is tilted ever so slightly, trying to avoid attention while also trying to remain brave.