episode eleven

gone hunting

.·:*¨ ¨*:·.

CHANGING QUICKLY, SAM RUSHED BACK TO THE WHEELER RESIDENCE

CHANGING QUICKLY, SAM RUSHED BACK TO THE WHEELER RESIDENCE. This time, however, she was looking for Nancy. The trio of older teens had come to the conclusion they would meet up at a different point, just in case, but Sam wanted to hash things out with Nancy first.
Running up the driveway, Sam didn't even check to make sure the girl was alone before she began rambling.
"Hey, Nance." The Henderson teen started. "Listen, I wanted to talk some things out before..." She trailed off after glancing up and seeing Steve Harrington standing with the Wheeler girl.
"Oh, uh...my bad." She backed up a step.
"No, it's fine." Nancy waved her off. She turned back to her boyfriend and sighed. "I'm sorry, but I really don't think I can make it to the movies. Me and Sam, we've been busy with the whole funeral thing...and with our brothers. It's, it's really hard on them."
"Yeah, sure." Steve nodded quickly. "Sure, yeah...yeah."
"So..." Nancy trailed off.
"I should go." Steve nodded away from the house.
"Sorry." Sam said sarcastically. Nancy glanced at her with raised eyebrows, silently telling her to shut up.
"I'll call you later. Is that okay?" Nancy turned back to Steve.
"Yeah. Yeah, of course." He sighed softly. Nancy leaned forward and kissed him lightly. Sam grimaced. Steve passed Sam and the girl tried to send him a genuinely sympathetic smile, but it didn't work out well.
"What was that about?" Sam whispered as she stepped forward.
"Nothing, it's just...nothing." Nancy sighed and ran a hand down her face.
"You okay?" Sam placed a gentle hand on her shoulder. Nancy looked up and smiled softly, nodding reassuringly.
"Okay, well...we should get going. Johnathan should be waiting on us." The blonde motioned her head away before setting off down the driveway.

-

The loud booms of a gun firing became more and more aggressive in Sam's ears as she and Nancy walked towards their partner in crime.
"You're supposed to hit the cans, right?" Nancy teased once Johnathan pointed the gun down. He laughed with a genuine smile.
"No, actually, you see the spaces in between the cans? I'm aiming for those." The Byers teen joked back.
"Well, I'd say you're doing a pretty good job." Sam pat his shoulder as she walked to the other side of him.
"You ever shot a gun before?" The Byers teen glanced to Nancy, knowing Sam had been to a firing range before.
Nancy scoffed. "Have you met my parents?"
"Yeah, I haven't shot one since I was ten." Johnny sighed, switching out the old casings for new bullets. "My dad took me hunting on my birthday. He made me kill a rabbit."
"A rabbit?" Nancy repeated quietly.
"Yeah. I guess he thought it would make me into more of a man or something. I cried for a week." Johnathan admitted. Sam couldn't help but snort.
"Jesus." Nancy shook her head. Johnathan shoved Sam gently.
"Don't laugh at me. I'm a fan of Thumper." He cracked a smile.
"You're dad is terrible." Sam shook her head.
"I guess he and my mother loved each other at some point, but...I wasn't around for that part." The teen clicked the gun closed and glanced to the two girls next to him. Nancy held her hand out, silently asking to shoot the gun. Johnathan cleared his throat.
"Oh, yeah." He passed the weapon over gently.
"Just be sure to aim when you shoot." Sam informed her, earning a small smile from the girl. It fell only a moment after.
"I don't think my parents ever loved each other." Nancy finally stated. The thought had been plaguing her mind for years and finally she could tell someone.
"They must've married for some reason." The photographer tried to reason.
"My mom was young. My dad was older, but he had a cushy job, money, came from a good family." Nancy explained, holding the gun up at arms length as she spoke. "So, they bought a nice house at the end of the cul-de-sac...and started their nuclear family."
"Man, screw that." Sam huffed out.
"Yeah." Nancy closed one eye to aim better. "Screw that." She squeezed the trigger and the can ahead of her went flying. The three chuckled.
"Hell yes, Nance. Hell yes." Sam cheered.