I swallow and look away from him. I try to be thankful but that's it. I'll be calling them once we're done here. Nothing else exists and nothing else matters because all my mind now revolves around is its urge to run away. Far from home and what's waiting.

"Violet?"

My head lifts but I feel somewhat separated from my body.

"Did you hear what I asked?"

Does it matter? When all I feel is this impending doom, this crippling fear. In a matter of seconds, it's paralysed me.

"Is he telling the truth?" Banning asks.

"I'm sorry." Is all I say and pull the sleeves tighter over my hands.

"Hey," Everest says quietly and I can feel his eyes on mine, "It'll be alright, you know? I won't let you go down for this. It's bullshit."

I look up to Principal Banning and hate how weak my voice sounds, "Is it okay if I wait in the reception? It'll be Sage you call?"

Pathetic; it's what Everest will see at least. Cowering like a baby, even when he sticks up for me. Even when it's a thing teenagers get caught out for all the time. It's humiliating and I just need to breathe.

"Violet, we can talk about this. I'm sure what Everest is saying stands true and it's unlikely that police will take acti-"

"I understand." But it doesn't matter anymore, "I'd just like to wait outside please. There's not much for me to say."

Banning sighs and looks like he wants to say more but nods and gestures to the door. I manage a little smile towards him before pulling open the door and ordering my lungs to take in steady, sufficient amounts of oxygen.

I sit in the chair and tilt my head back again so I'm faced with the ceiling.

I think of ballet. Floating above the rest of the world. My only solace. Where there's no rules, no regulations. Where I discover what I really want to say.

I try to do anything but think about what's waiting for me when I get home.

I hear the door open and I lift my head to Everest as he walks over and quietly settles himself in front of the chairs opposite me. He sits on the ground, knees up and his blue eyes don't leave mine in this small area.

His lips turn up apologetically, "Hi."

I offer a small smile because I didn't thank him for what he did in there, "Hi."

I look back up to the ceiling and try not to get all nervous knowing that he's right in front of me, looking at me. And that we could both be in a world of trouble. Me and Everest Jones. At least it solidifies that he really is trouble because this is the outcome after one conversation.

"I'm sorry." He mutters, "I shouldn't have-"

"It's fine." I keep my gaze on the ceiling.

He's quiet for a moment more but I can practically feel his restlessness from here. I hear the shifting of his feet, the eventual clearing of his throat as I remain quiet. It's better if we don't talk.

Until he eventually blurts, "Can I ask you a question?"

I lift my gaze to him.

And then he winces, "Gimme a sec. I actually need to think of one first. I don't like quiet, it makes me antsy, you know?"

I understand. My youngest brother detests silence. He shifts under it like ants are crawling up his body but I've always found solace in silence.

"Are you ever nervous?" The question blurts out of me so I snap my eyes wide open and lift my head to look down at him, "I mean, like when you get in trouble?"