45. The Maidens comeback

The search of Lan disciples for Madam Lan in her Caiyi town home and the surroundings lead them to nowhere. As expected Hui Zheng had escaped already in Madam Lan's form. Lan yi's father was as shocked as everyone else when he came to know about the soul switch. But he provided that he thought that Madam Lan was mentally retarded due to her unstable moods and behaviors and the only normal thing she did was to ask him her daughter's well being from time to time. He also added that it has been weeks since he last saw her. Everyone assumed that Hui zheng was close to them to keep him updated on news from cloud recesses. 

From two days of inquiry to Madam Lan's soul in their custody, they were sure that she had something that cannot be revealed to anyone.  No amount of physical torture was able to retrieve information from her. For that reason alone, the Lan elders kept her arrest news from Lan yi. 

If Madam Lan was willing to trade her body, it could only be for her or Lan yi's sake. A meeting was held two days later to discuss the same and Wei ying along with his dear brother took part. 

When Wei ying volunteered to investigate her, Xichen politely refused, afraid Wei ying's powers were no match to that of the woman's level and it might end up taking her life. 

"Why not make Lan yi ask her instead?" Wei ying probed. 

When the elders were ready to give 'the don't you know the reason' look, Lan zhan replied, 

"Do you mean, sending someone else as Lan yi?" 

"Exactly" Wei ying answered gladly. 

"We cannot risk that." Qiren replied. 

"How about we pick one of us in this room and send that person as Lan yi?" Wei ying was determined. 

"Sounds good." Xichen agreed and the rest nodded. 

"Whom to pick?" When that question was asked, Jiang cheng who was all serious till then, had a wide grin, his eyes shining, looking at Wei ying. Obviously he remembered the previous occurrence of his brother and Nie huaisang as elegant ladies. 

'Kill you!!' Wei ying mouthed without sound. 

And Lan zhan was not any better. He too had a playful smirk pointed at Wei ying. When others noticed these two, they also looked at Wei ying collectively, giving no chance for refusal. 

Like that, everyone pushed Wei ying to dress up like Lan yi, with her chain accessories on, and as for face, they made him cover his second half with a veil. 

"You know, it would be better if I happen to have a helper dressed as a female cell keeper, to avoid suspicion." 

'Not going down alone, Jiang cheng' Wei ying's face showed a sincere expression and Jiang cheng knew that his maniac brother was upto no good. 

"Will you, Jiang cheng?"  

When no one breathed, worried someone might pick them, Wei ying himself shot the request right at his dear brother. 

"Anything for my brother." Jiang cheng replied through his gritted teeth. 

And at night, a young maiden covering her face, limping slightly in order to match the height of Lan yi, together with a grumpy middle aged woman, her expression matching the grim reaper, were sent inside prison. 

Lan zhan and Xichen shadowed the yunmeng siblings to aid them and the elders waited outside. 

"At Least I look beautiful" Wei ying said in a husky tone to irritate his already irritated brother and the jades shook their heads, smiling. 

Xichen did a voice changing spell on the siblings and informed them that it would last for five minutes. 

Right before they arrived at Madam Lan's cell, Jiang cheng pretended to attack the nearby guards, and the guards fell down like they were instructed earlier. Madam Lan woke up from the noise, and in a few seconds, she saw someone dressed similar to her daughter sneaking in the dark. 

"Mother" Madam Lan fell in trap due to the voice, and Wei ying was glad that it worked. 

"Quick, the guards will be up soon" Jiang cheng said their rehearsed dialog to make it seem real. 

"A'yi, my poor child." Madam Lan cried and Wei ying stood silently on the other side of the bar, guilt pricking his heart. 

"I am sorry, I cannot help you escape, at this moment" Wei ying said. 

"Leave the escape plan. How is our plan coming along? I want to witness him going insane, for putting you through this." 

"G-great, mother"

"Two more months, and we will avenge him. Where are you getting the supplies?" 

"Supplies?" 

"For slow pois.." Madam Lan had grabbed Wei ying's arm while conversing, but stopped talking when she felt the rough manly palm. Though she couldn't make out the face in the darkness, she was able to distinguish her daughter by the touch. 

"Nothing" 

"Go on" Wei ying said commandingly. 

"If you threaten me, I will not hesitate to kill myself." 

Wei ying had to stop Jiang cheng from choking her to death, before he pulled his brother back from the spot. 

They cannot kill her, as there is a chance they might catch Hui zheng when he returns to his body one day, not knowing his body is trapped in cloud recesses. And if she kills herself, the soul would be trapped permanently without letting it switch back. 

Once the four returned to the discussion room, they unfolded the conversation to others. Between the several questions that ran in everyone's mind, the common and important ones were, who is the 'he' between Wei ying and Lan zhan? And what is the slow poison she referred to? 

"Can't we interrogate Lan yi?" Jiang cheng asked. 

"Unfortunately, No. The mother and daughter has become suicide killers. If Lan yi finds out, she wouldn't think twice about killing herself like how her mother threatened." 

"It's better that we watch her to know what exactly she used to poison, in order to determine the antidote and the extent of the poison." 

"You both better come with me to yunmeng. I shall do anything to save you both. We have expert medical women there. It's better to leave than to watch someone kill you slowly."  

When the Lan elders were expressing their thoughts, Jiang cheng raged, not able to see the old men discussing the incident like they were experimenting the process. 

"Young master Jiang, we did not mean that we will let our masters be just like that. Starting from this moment, they will not stay at jingshi, nor will they have anything that is provided by the maids there. We may make it look like they are still the same, staying there in jingshi." 

"Yes, let us bring our physicians here to check Wangji and Wei ying." After Xichen's assurance, Jiang cheng remained silent. 

"Lan Huan, get people and do a check on everything that is available in jingshi. Bring everything that seems suspicious." Qiren gave an immediate task to Xichen and Jiang cheng willingly tagged along.