<fifteen>

I woke up before Ethan the next morning. He was still laying on the floor, his mouth slightly open and his hand reaching toward the bed. By no means did he look perfect or even slightly attractive, but he was still Ethan. He was real, genuine. He was keeping me sane and attached to reality after I had just seen Erica become a vampire's personal blood bank.

"You're staring," he grumbled, turning his face into the pillow. "Did I wake you up? Did you sleep okay?"

"No, you didn't wake me up," I said, reaching for his arm, but pulling away. "I -uh- I slept fine."

I lied. I slept terribly. My eyes were achey and desperate to close. Forcing myself to sit up, I rubbed at them and made them stay open.

Ethan looked up at me, his face a little puffy. "Are you hungry?"

"I could eat," I nodded. Honestly, I had lost my appetite, but I knew it was time to eat whether I wanted to or not. I pulled the blanket off and stood up, feeling dizzy. It was definitely time to eat.

Ethan stood up and threw his blanket and pillow back on his bed. There were a thousand things I wanted to say to him in this moment.

You could've stayed in bed with me.
Thank you, Ethan, for everything.
Wait. Before we go downstairs to the mess that is Benny Weir, kiss me.
Why didn't you stay with me?
I love you, Ethan.

Instead, I swallowed and said nothing. Ethan didn't notice and opened the door. He smiled over his shoulder at me, "Do you hear that?"

"What?"

"Sounds like Benny's cooking."

A.N.

Hey y'all!

I'm just making sure that the way I'm writing this makes sense. Like every other chapter is a scene from the past? Like this chapter is from the past, but chapter 14 (and 16 - coming soon) is from "present day." Lmk!

-Redd🦧

(Also... I am very upset with the United States Supreme Court and I've already cried 4 times about the overturning of Roe V Wade🥲👍)