four

"Never. Drinking. Fanta. Again," Benny grunts, burping at the end. "Oh god. That was almost puke."

"Dude, you're disgusting," Ethan says, throwing a pillow at him.

"Mm not a bad idea," Benny hums into the pillow. "Nap time."

It isn't long until his snores are muffled by the pillow.

"Well that went well," I laugh, sitting on the bed next to Ethan.

"Caitlyn?" Ethan says quietly.

"What's up angel?" I ask, turning to him.

"I- nevermind," he shakes his head, smiling.

"What is it, E?" I ask, pushing his leg.

"You could've chosen anyone," he sighs. "So why Benny? Why me? I mean, we've gotten you in so many life or death situations, but you're still friends with us. Why?"

I shrug, "I don't know. I guess I like you two. I have fun when I'm with you both, even when we're fighting evil trees and destroying ancient, cursed necklaces."

"That's it?"

"I mean, obviously not," I reply. "I'm not afraid to be myself around you guys. I don't have to be the lacrosse robot I used to be. I can actually enjoy band and superheroes without getting called a geek."

"You are a geek," Ethan jokes. I glare at him and he continues, "And I mean that as a compliment."

"Thanks angel," I say. "But I'd pick you two losers over anyone else. Any day, any time."

"If you could go back and change it all, would you?"

"I wou-," I shake my head, as an alarm starts beeping on Benny's watch. Benny wakes up and smacks his wrist, shutting the alarm off.

"What was that for?" I ask.

"I set an alarm to let us know when we needed to leave so we could be out of here before Ethan's parents woke up," Benny groans, burying his face back in the pillow. "But I set it for the wrong freaking time."

"Nice going," I laugh.

"Shut up," he grunts before falling back asleep on the floor.

"You know," I yawn. "A nap actually doesn't sound that bad."

*****

"Caitlyn... Caitlyn!" Someone shoves me, waking me up.

"Benny? What the fu-"

"We need to go, like now," he whisper shouts.

"My parents are awake," Ethan says, scratching the back of his head.

"What?" I hiss, sitting up. "Benny-"

"I already told you I didn't set the alarm for the right time," he says, pointing to his watch. "Then we all fell asleep without fixing it."

"Absolute freaking morons," I shake my head, getting out of bed. "Total idiots!"

Ethan opens his door and checks the hallway, waving us out of his room. We quietly follow him through the house as he continues to check for his parents. We make it back to the window safely and Ethan gets it open. Benny and I throw our bags down. Benny climbs out, falling on his butt, but giving us a thumbs up to let us know he's okay.

"Ethan," I cross the room, grabbing his arm and pulling him inside from his guard duty. I quickly kiss his cheek before slowly backing up toward the window. "I'd always pick you."

I climb out of the window and jump down, stumbling into Benny as I do.

"I heard that," Benny smiles.

"Can it, Benjamin," I spit, grabbing my bag off the ground. "Let's just get out of here."

"I'd always pick you," he mimics me as we run away from Ethan's house. I punch his arm when he starts making kissy faces at me.