Chapter 47: Dagen's A Little Bitch

Start from the beginning

The portal sealed behind them when Nevaeha asked Vaella, "Are you going to wait with us?"

"There is a matter I must attend to in the God Realm, I should be back shortly."

"What are you going to do there?"

Vaella cut herself another portal before responding, "I am to speak with other gods in the hope they aid us against Etin."

When the goddess was gone, Nevaeha and Adam made her way back inside before coming back out to train. Scylla and Thorn gathered around them like walls so Dagen went inside where there was food.

Eoin appeared inside, big, grey eyes scanning the kitchen and living room. He disappeared and jumped to the couch where Riveta semi-watched the cooking show that was playing.

"How'd it go?" she wondered, laying out the veggies on a nice platter. Her black hair was neatly tied back, the ends coming to her mid-back.

Dagen shuffled over, his boots catching slightly, and plopped himself a seat at the dinner table where he could glare out the back doors to everyone training.

"Fine," he muttered, reclining in his seat. He adjusted his cloak, his frozen face stinging and beginning to run. "They'll be back whenever."

"I made some tea, do you want some?"

"Only if it's poisoned," Dagen muttered. Outside, he could see winks of steel and wind directing it somewhere behind the dragons.

"I think I used up the last of that tea," Riveta quipped. "I only have this peppermint one."

Dagen simmered a moment longer, thinking about leaving and finding some motel to stay in for a few days.

If Riveta had been anyone else he would have but doing that made Dagen's stomach knot. Reluctantly, he looked at Riveta who was looking back at him as she pulled a cup from the cabinet.

He nodded, feeling like Eoin when Dagen ignored him for too long and pouted.

Riveta joined him at the table, offering him a grey mug. He examined the dark liquid, the peppermint-smelling steam worsening the sting in his face.

"Thanks," he grumbled.

She offered a small, caring smile, and it reminded Dagen of his mother. "Are you okay?"

"Why wouldn't I be?" he asked, keeping the mug against his chest.

She gestured to nothing in particular. "You were walking very loud. At least for you," she amended.

For a moment, relief filled him. At least, someone had noticed. But now he had to deal with the bittersweet fact that she knew.

"People suck," he snickered, scowling at the training happening behind her.

"Why?" she asked, neither curious nor accusing. She sipped her tea, smacking her lips a couple of times before sipping again.

Dagen's gaze fell to the tea, his jaw clenching. It felt wrong to open up like this, but Riveta was kind and something about her made it feel so easy.

"Everyone thinks I'm a screw-up," he muttered, low enough to keep Eoin from hearing. "And a thief." He nudged the table leg. "And... I don't know, not good. At anything."

"Who thinks that?" she wondered.

He sighed, anger and hurt clashing within him. "Holland. Norah. Milo. What's-her-face... Nevaeha. My parents. Vaella." He sighed, defeat sitting like weights on his shoulders. "Me."

"Why do you think they see you like that?"

Dagen shrugged, not wanting to look up at her. "I don't know," he lied.