Chapter 36: ThE bLAck ClOuD iS a GoD?

Here's a bonus chapter for you lovlies. Honestly, I didn't know what to put down for this chapter *shrugs* If anyone has suggestions, please feel free to leave a comment.

Nevaeha

Soft, metallic clinking woke Nevaeha. She scrubbed the crust from her eyes, yawning and finding Fin curled up next to her. She patted his head and the dog rolled back, shoving his snout into her face.

She scratched his chin, blinking through the dimness to find Norah scribbling something down, holding a gold coin between her fingers.

Nevaeha glared at her until she noticed.

Norah gave her a quick once over from hair to chin, then went back to her work. Un-fucking-bothered.

Two hours. It had taken them two hours to hike back to the cabin, and the information Nevaeha knew wasn't adding up. She knew Norah promised to tell them everything later, but she knew the woman was lying about something.

It didn't take long for Milo to get up after that and take Fin for a walk. Nevaeha rolled up her sleeping bag, simmering. Arguments rolled through her head. Things Norah might reply with, all of them sharper than the last.

She hadn't changed from last night's armor, stinking of sweat and blood and death. She made sure to scrub hard, smiling as she sank into the hot water, her aching muscles sighing in relief. She soaked for a long time, enjoying herself and amazed at the water suddenly going from a dark, murky brown to crystal clear.

Mage magic. This entire house was run on it.

Nevaeha changed into clean clothes, leaving the cabin to do her business. She'd already told Norah the night before to get a toilet, but that would have to wait until the owner returned.

When she came back, Milo was eating at the table. He gave her a nod in greeting while Fin chomped down a bowl of food.

She looked at the castle Dragon Bait made for himself in the corner. Walls of books kept him hidden.

Or at least until he decided to peer over it, bleary-eyed, his black hair a stormy mess. He squinted at them, willing them into silence.

Nevaeha had to remind herself that they were on the same team. She ate her eggs and toast quieter.

Dragon Bait slept for another hour before leaving the cabin.

She sighed, sipping her water with screaming muscles. She watched Norah the entire time, picking last night's collection one at a time from the duffle bags and cataloging them in her notebook. Nevaeha searched her face with narrowed eyes.

The gods damned bitch. She'd hoped for something. Some sort of emotion. An apologetic look for not telling them where she'd been going. A flicker of anger. Anything. That cold, expressionless stare was like banging you're head against a stone wall.

The door opened and closed. Dragon Bait walked into the bathroom, silent and precise as a spider. Or a wraith.

When he sat down, his hair was wet--his skin pink and gleaming. A plate of pancakes appeared before him, topped with fruit and drizzled with syrup. He ate slowly, eyes still droopy with sleep. A shot glass of amber liquid appeared beside his hand.

Dragon Bait took a bite of food and sipped the drink.

It was the only time Nevaeha found Norah looking up. She watched him from beneath her lashes. "That better not be what I think it is."

"It isn't." He winked, his thick accent and sleep slurring his words.

Norah set her pen down, frowning. "It's noon."