fourteen

JUNIOR YEAR//OCTOBER

~MAGGIE~

The Rocky Horror Picture Show soundtrack was spinning on my audio-technica. The sound of the Halloween classic had filled our small apartment for the last hour while we were all running around adding last minute touches to costumes, finishing extensive eye makeup, and hairspraying every last strand of hair in place. Goldie and Daisy were bringing the house down with their vocals on "Time Warp" from across the hall and I couldn't help the laugh that escaped my lips just as my bedroom door burst open.

"Maggie I can't tell if I love it or hate it, what do you think?"

Goldie had exited her room and was standing in my doorway. The second my gaze caught her costume I broke out in the biggest grin ever. She was wearing a sparkly green short dress that clung to her body in the most flattering way. Her blonde hair pulled into a tight high bun with a few pieces pulled out to frame her face and her feet were sporting the classic white high top converse making my grin spread impossibly wider. And of course the signature of the whole outfit, the iridescent green wings that were visible behind her.

As I took in her costume she nervously fidgeted with her hands awaiting a response. "Goldie are you kidding you look so fucking good!" I launched myself off of the stool I was seated at and made my way over to her. She let out a sigh of relief just as Daisy made her way into the hallway.

A little squeal left my lips as I saw her blue shimmery dress and fairy wings that made the cutest couple costume I'd ever seen. Daisy's hand found Goldie's and I watched as they each squeezed three times.

"Maggie, tell her she can't change her mind again. I think this is the 5th idea in the last week. My Silvermist sparkles look perfect. I cannot change now. "

Goldie let out a small scoff turning toward Daisy with a feigned look of surprise that brought laughs out of all of us. She then grabbed her and quickly said "you always look perfect" before laying a gentle kiss on her cheek.

"Well I'll be ready in a few and then we can leave before she changes her mind again ok?"

I watched Goldie roll her eyes before swinging their interlaced hands and dragging her into the kitchen. "Hurry up slowpoke"

Turning on my heels I made my way back to my mirror making sure my hair and makeup were exactly how I wanted them to look. My hair had been parted down the middle and pulled up into a bun. Wrangling the curls had been an arm workout that made me break a sweat but it was worth it. The blue eye makeup I did matched with my costume and I had spent a ridiculous amount of concentration to get my eyeliner even on both sides. In full glam fashion, I had even splurged with some falsies. Everything was perfectly in place. All I needed was my costume. Making my way over to my closet I grabbed the hanger with the dress that I had finally finished making last night after my shift at the cafe.