one

FRESHMAN YEAR//SEPTEMBER

~MAGGIE~

The bustle of people in the cafe was a steady thrum as the end of the post-work rush fizzled out through the small, cozy space. The line of people that had extended out through the door just half an hour ago was now scattered across the tables and stools inside and out onto the patio. The surfboard rack outside of the door was full and beside it were a few stragglers leaning against the wood-shingled wall of the cafe.

The rush was always my favorite part of the day. Seeing all the people pile in with the salty ocean clinging to their hair and the smiles that rival the beaming California sun. The laughter and loud chatter between groups recounting the waves they'd caught through the day. The joy was contagious and even though it was the busiest hour of the day it was the one filled with the most warmth and happiness.

But the peaceful hum during this post rush state had its own comfort too.

Looking out at the tables I saw the familiar faces of our regulars who come to the register and wouldn't even have to speak before we were ringing them up with their usual. The occasional college student, frantically typing away at their laptop while taking fleeting looks out the large windows towards the oceans. Longing for the days past writing papers or studying for quizzes, missing the warmth of summer. I know the feeling, 'cause I do the same.

And then there were the surfers. The ones who would come in wildly like a hurricane momentarily disrupting the peaceful atmosphere. They had enough energy to send them bouncing off the colorful walls and laughing so loud the quiet space became lively and full in seconds.

The mix of people felt like home.

I set to work on the post rush cleanup, throwing spoons and blender cups into the large sink to be cleaned. I grabbed a rag and started wiping down all the counters, getting the sweet sticky residue off of every surface that had previously been covered in bright-colored drinks spilling over cups as lids were pressed on.

As I started humming along to the Elton John song playing over the speakers Sabrina appeared next to me at the sink, bumping her hip with mine, "What do you want for dinner on Sunday honey?"

Three weeks prior during my first shift at the cafe, the last thing I expected was for the owner of the place to invite me over for dinner. But even in that short amount of time, Sabrina had already become such an important person in my life.

Every Sunday I was invited over for "family dinner", it was just me, Sabrina, and another girl that had just started working there named Goldie, who I was already learning to love like a sister.

I had no clue what I was getting into when I applied at a random smoothie shop. I was just sending my resume anywhere that was close to the water and would pay me enough to be able to register for spring classes.