Fifty two

Flashback

  Queensland, Australia September  2016
——————————————————————————

The next week was bitterly painful. Tom kept his head down, went to work, was ignored by Charlie, and then came home. He hadn't read. He hadn't slept. He didn't have it anymore. His life felt colorless without Charlie.

Maybe he was better off without her. No! How could he be better off without her?! It didn't feel right not being with her. He needs her. And he would do anything for that.

Tom had called her almost every day, but Charlie ignored him. He left long voicemails and profusely apologized each time.

On Wednesday afternoon Tom finished work early in the day so there was still plenty of sun to enjoy. He thought it would be good to get out of his usual routine. Shake himself out of his fear.

He stomped off the set down the sidewalk and into a restaurant he'd never been to before. He had walked past it a million times but was always too nervous to go in. It was a fancy little place. Handsome, creative dudes filled the high bar tables, clutching unique craft cocktails and munching on unconventional charcuterie boards.

He sat alone at a table - a new experience for him. He had never done that before. He usually went out to eat with one or more friends. Sitting alone seemed awkward and uncomfortable, but he held his head high and forced a confident expression onto his face.

A waiter approached his table and went through the specials for him. Let's stay with the topic of leaving the comfort zone, scratch that - diving out of the comfort zone. He ordered a funky seasonal cocktail and a piece of cake just because he could. Dessert for lunch was always a good idea after a breakup.

Sitting alone at the table, his eyes wandered around the room and took in the furnishings. It was lively to say the least. A fancy eyeball print wallpaper lined the walls and ran down to the red and pink striped floor. Each of the tables was a different color surrounded by mismatched chairs. Indie music was played overhead, making the space feel a lot more defined for what it was.

His order was placed in front of him, drawing him from his admiring gaze. The cocktail was bubbly and pink; ruby red raspberries floated in it, mingled with the ice. On top was a lump of cotton candy, which slowly dissolved in the drink. He smiled at how pretty it was. Probably the first time he really smiled since Charlie.

The cake was decadent. Slices of candied orange and lemon rested on top of the glaze. It was perfectly wet. Tom closed his eyes and sighed to himself while enjoying his sip. The food let him distract himself from his worries for a moment.

His eyes snapped open when he heard a sneeze a few tables away. He knew that sneeze. He turned around and saw her.

Charlie.

  He couldn't take his eyes off her. She sat alone, writing things on her notebook while sipping on her coffee, which was almost the same color as her skin.  Her hair rested on her shoulders and her legs were crossed. His eyes snapped open again as someone approached her.

Charlie was bright back to reality when someone next to her cleared his throat. He was of average build, wore a loose fitting, striped buttoned shirt buttoned low on the chest and tucked into cuffed jeans. A rolled black beanie rested over his messy blond hair. He wore a warm smile as he stared down at her.

  "Err, hi." He giggled "Are you Charles Jackson?"

  She drew her brows together in confusion.  "Yes, that's me." She made it sound more like a question.