Chapter Eight

I waited by the dressing rooms, on a black bench, as Anthony was trying on outfits that I picked out for him, he doesn't need to show them to me, just have him trying them on to see if they fit. So then, 'Why does he insists trying them on and letting me see?' Anthony looked good in light blue jeans, starring at his butt, gulping at the sight as he showed the view of the back side. Looking away, "Yes the jeans look nice on you," not daring to face the front, not trusting where my eyes would be if I did. I watched him go back inside the dressing room. Sighing in relief. Didn't realize I fell asleep, while waiting. Anthony startled me awake, "Sorry...I haven't been sleeping well lately," decided to admit.

"How about we go home then and you can take a nap?" I was surprised by his kindness on that. 'Now that I think about it, he has his own way of being kind.'

I shook my head, "It's ok, we need to get you decent clothes."

"I picked out the ones I want to get already," he pointed at the clothes, "so, let's get out of here already."

As we reached the check out counter; Anthony took out his card. I stopped him giving part of my mom's cash instead, "Use this cash instead?"

"I can't do that Dawson, keep that for yourself." I stubbornly hand the money to the cashier, she accepted it with a smile. Anthony wasn't happy with that on the other side, "I don't need someone buying clothes for me, I am not kid anymore," I had a feeling he felt embarrassed by this, me buying them for him. There was a instrument shop near by, looking over at Anthony for permission. After he was cool with it, we went inside. Hundreds of electric guitars hung on the wall, drums and keyboards underneath. 'I miss owning one,' I touched one of the fenders' string. A sales person came over, asking if I was interested in buying one. 

"Are you wanting to buy a guitar all of a sudden?" Anthony wondered as the clerk went back to the register.

"I am not quite sure yet...just I miss having one."

"You owned one before?" I nodded, he was surprised by that, "did something happened to it?"

"My dad got it for me as a kid..." I looked away from his eyes, gearing back at the fenders, "after he left my mom destroyed...basically everything that reminded of him..."

"So she destroyed your guitar?" I nodded, sighing at that memory.

"Here instead of you buying it...I will do that for you..."

I gaped at that, looking over at him, 'I know why he is doing it though.' "I don't need your pity," I quietly said, "besides I am using my mom's cash to pay for it."

"It is not out of pity...just think it's better for me to buy it is all..." 'Yeah right...he is not the type to think that way.' it must be out of pity.

I gave up on this, "Fine...I will let you pay for it then." Going to the clerk to ask about testing one I have my eye on. It was a red and white one. The salesperson brought it down for me as I strapped it on. Sitting down in a wooden chair, I started strumming. Anthony decided to let me be, while he waited in an area with the music magazines. 'I wouldn't have minded him staying in here with me though.' kept playing the guitar.

Decided that this one was for me, watching Anthony took out his card and purchasing it. Decided to thank him, "In return I want you to do some chores around the house?"

"Of course! I mean you are letting me stay there, I should at least do something to repay you back. Not to mention you just bought me this," I point to the fender as we got on the motorcycle. He held it for me as I got my helmet on. Taking the instrument in one hand, slung my other around his stomach.

Back at his house, I started boiling some pasta, with a mushroom sauce in a pan while Anthony was taking a shower. Looking over at my new guitar, 'Guess I have to get my written songs out of my basement?' I stirred the pasta, added salt, oil so it doesn't stick together. Stirring the pan, so it doesn't burn, turning it down to low setting.

By the time he was out of the shower, the table was already set and served. Started eating, looking over at Anthony, taking his first bite, watching him licking his lips. I smiled at that, "What are you smiling about? You are creeping me out."

I realized I was just starring at him, blinking to reality, "Sorry...just it is nice to have a meal with someone again," I took another bite. Somehow I noticed something was wrong, 'He seems to be down about something I noticed?' Wonder what it could be. His mood completely changed with me today, other than when he slapped me. 'I was still at fault for that.' Shock hit me when he said I can stay here while my mom was away. And I don't need to quit school.