Part 1

The hall is empty and quiet. I sit on one of the many benches that line the hall. My back rests against the stone wall as I stare at my phone in my lap. A new video pops up in my notifications and I tap the thumbnail. I plug in my headphones as I watch the news clip. 

An aerial view of the island's now active volcano churns my gut. Three years after the fall of Jurassic World, the debate over Isla Nublar rages on. The news anchor lady says—the scene changes to a closer shot of the volcano. The island's long-dormant volcano, reclassified as active, has shown considerable unrest in recent months. The lady says again in the voice-over. The news station's logo flashes on the screen as the lady appears in front of a map of Isla Nublar. Theologists now predict an extinction-level event will kill off the last living dinosaurs on the planet. The lady says. 

The clip changes to a surveillance of the main road at Jurassic World during the attack by the pteranodons. The video sends a small shiver down my spine. Since the disaster that shocked the world in 2015, the Masrani Corporation has paid out more than $800 million in damages to settle class-action lawsuits brought by survivors. The lady says in the voice-over. The logo flashes again as the video changes to a shot of protesters outside the capital building. Activist groups have mobilized around the globe, in what has become the flashpoint animal rights issue of our time. The lady says as the video shows different groups of protesters. 

The logo flashes again and the focus is back on the lady in front of the map. With an eruption expected at any moment,...  Another clip of the island shows the active volcano then a dinosaur bellowing at the camera through the treetops. the US Senate has convened a special committee, to answer a grave moral question: Do dinosaurs deserve the same protections given to other endangered species, or should they be left to die?

I pull out my earbuds when I feel someone tap my shoulder. I look up to see someone I haven't seen for a very long time. Ian Malcolm. I click off my phone and shove it in my pocket as I stand. I wrap my arms around the man in a hug. 

"It's good to see you Ian." I say with a smile. 

"Good to see you too kid. How are you doing?" He asks. 

I shrug, "I've been better I'll admit." I look to my left as more people file into the room next to us. I take a breath and adjust my suit jacket. "Let's just get this over with ya? We are one voice out of billions. Let's just say what we came to say and leave it at that." 

Ian nods, "I like your thinking kid." He ushers me through the doors. We walk down the aisle and take our seats at the table in front of the senate.  I feel the many eyes of the other people in the room on my back but I try to ignore them. 

"Dr. Malcolm, Ms. Grant, thank you for joining us." Senator Sherwood nods. 

I smile as I take my seat, "It's a pleasure to be here senator." 

After the usual back and forth, introduction, and credibility of our people the debate begins. However, my tongue suddenly feels heavy in my mouth and I can't seem to form the right words. 

Ian saves me by speaking up first, "I think... that we should allow our... magnificent, glorious dinosaurs, to be taken out by the volcano." 

As soon as the words leave his mouth murmurs from behind us erupt. "Murders." I hear one voice whisper. Ian looks behind us, obviously aware of the voice as well, but I keep my eyes ahead. "Silence please." Senator Sherwood speaks up.

"As deeply sad as that would be. We altered the course of natural history. This is the correction." Ian goes on. 

"Are you suggesting the Almighty is taking matters into his own hands?" Senator Sherwood asks.