They stepped out of the kitchen, and Keefe walked ahead this time. A faint light came from the room across them, and with a surge of relief, Keefe saw the backs of Tam and Fitz.

"Hey, we should—" he sucked back a yelp as a hand clamped over his mouth and he was yanked back into the shadows. Dex's face appeared in front of his, a frantic look in his eyes.

Keefe glanced back at the Fitz and Tam, except...

Blood rushed from his face as he realized those people were not Fitz and Tam.

The two Neverseen agents shifted as they spoke in low tones, one turning and looking around the room.

Keefe froze as his gaze seemed to rest on them for a moment, but the man looked away after a long moment. Keefe glanced at Dex, motioning quietly for the kitchen. They backed away, then took another door to a different hall.

Keefe almost screamed when his back collided with a shoulder.

Geez, he was so jumpy today.

"Did you find—" Fitz broke off his normal voice at Keefe's rapid head shaking.

His voice filled Keefe's head seconds later. "What's wrong?"

Keefe winced. He was so used to Sophie's soft voice when she transmitted to him that he had forgotten what it sounded like when other telepaths besides her did. Fitz's voice seemed so loud compared to Sophie's.

"Neverseen agents, room across from the kitchen."

Fitz's nodded, turning to Tam. Quickly, shadows seemed to surge and move and shrouded around them. It felt like a cold, dark blanket, and it was a bit unnerving how quickly the shadows responded and formed knives at Tam's command.

They boys crept through the doors and halls, and Tam motioned for them to stay behind him for a moment as he collected more shadows to conceal them. Keefe crept past him when they shadows settled over them more steadily, peeking past the doorframe at the agents. They still stood there, conversing quietly.

"You'd think the old man would have hidden it more. He's a lot more stupid than I thought." The other agent tossed a glinting object to the one who had spoke. He spoke again, "He probably has the the passcode written down somewhere here."

"Yeah, like we'll find it in this dump."

Keefe felt the shadows drop for a moment at the voice, and he ducked back into the halls. Tam was already recovering, but Keefe saw the dark scowl etched across Bangs Boy's face.

Glimmer spoke again, a haughty bit of amusement in her voice. "Suppose he died from shock just from asking him the password."

A snort, then Keefe heard, "My techniques aren't that terrible."

"Yeah, well, you can be pretty incompetent sometimes."

"Rude."

Glimmer laughed, a sound that surprised Keefe, since when he heard about her all he heard was: dark, gloomy, and goth.

Words he could've described Tam with, but he chose to live rather than tell Biana that.

Fitz's voice filled Keefe's head. "Tam and I are going to grab them from the other door. You and Dex stay at this door, alright?"

Keefe barely had time to nod before the shadows evaporated around him, and Tam and Fitz disappeared.

Minute passed before Keefe heard Fitz's voice again. "Wait a second. Tam wants to try something."

Keefe shrugged, then remembered Fitz probably couldn't see him behind this wall. "So you want me to trust Bangs Boy?" He thought impishly.

No answer.