Chapter 33: Bryce Walker Is Dead

Start from the beginning

Clay Jensen: You... You are?

Justin Foley: Yeah, I've known him since I was 8. He was the first person that gave a shit about me, the first person to look after me, man. He was my fucking brother.

Clay Jensen: I feel like he didn't look out for you, though.

Justin Foley: Dude, you don't know what you're talking about. Okay, Clay? You don't know everything. You think you have this idea that... You knew what you knew. He was a fucking person, Clay. A human being. Now he's fucking dead.

Clay never thought of it like that. For over a year, he thought of Bryce Walker as a monster after what he did to Jessica, Hannah, Chlöe, & to any girl who went to The Clubhouse. He will never forgive Bryce for all the lives he ruined, especially Hannah's. Pretty soon, news has spread about Bryce's death all over town. Caleb goes to Padilla's Automotive to inform Tony about Bryce. Tony begins to get worried because the police might come to ask him questions. Nora has identified the body as her son. She was heartbroken that her only son is dead. Nora is sitting in the interrogation room at the police station as the Sheriff joins her to ask questions.

Nora Walker: Sheriff. I can't help noticing I'm in an interrogation room.

Sheriff Diaz: It's the only place to talk in private, Mrs. Walker. The walls not only have ears, they have Twitter accounts. I want to continue to respect the family's privacy.

Nora Walker: I am the family, Sheriff. Have you seen my husband?

Sheriff Diaz: We've spoken with him. It's his wish to keep this as quiet as possible.

Nora Walker: It's my wish to find the person who killed my son.

Sheriff Diaz: Ma'am, we're moving forward with the investigation, but absent further information... we have to explore... all possibilities.

Nora Walker: Such as?

Sheriff Diaz: Was Bryce depressed? Might he have been despondent in any way? I can imagine that returning to Liberty must've been awfully emotional.

Nora Walker: My son did not kill himself.

Sheriff Diaz: Can you tell me just how you know?

Nora Walker: Do you think he would kill himself?

Sheriff Diaz: (Sighing) Well... I think... I've seen... that when people are in extreme circumstances, they can act out of character. Sometimes even to a tragic end.

Nora Walker: Is there something you would like to ask me, Sheriff?

Sheriff Diaz: Not just yet, Mrs. Walker. But please, rest assured that we are working every angle. And we will find out what happened.

Nora had enough. She gets up and grabs her coat as she goes for the door. She stops and turns back to the sheriff.

Nora Walker: Clay Jensen, Tony Padilla, Justin Foley, Montgomery de la Cruz, Jessica Davis, Hannah Baker... I know these names by heart now, Sheriff. You should, too.

Nora then leaves leaving Diaz to ponder his next move.

I'm in my English class when we hear Bolan's voice on the P.A.

Principal Bolan: May I have your attention, please? Moments ago, we received some extremely sad news from the Evergreen County Sheriff. Former Liberty student Bryce Walker was found this morning and has been confirmed dead.

Bryce is dead?

Principal Bolan: This is the only information we have at this time, but we ask that you keep his family in your thoughts today. Crisis counseling services will be available for all students, and we encourage everyone who may need help to reach out.