Chapter 33: Bryce Walker Is Dead

Start from the beginning

Ani Achola: What the hell?

Ani closes the back door and then enters the car as she sits on the front passenger seat.

Ani Achola: Today is truly not the day to break the rule!

Clay Jensen: What happened?

Ani Achola: They found a body. In the river.

Clay Jensen: Jesus! Bryce?

Ani Achola: Mrs. Walker is going to the morgue to do the ID.

Clay Jensen: Oh, God! So, what? They think maybe... maybe it was an accident?

Ani Achola: Do you think this many police cars turn up when it's an accident?

Clay Jensen: Maybe he killed himself?

Ani Achola: Maybe... They think it was murder. They do.

Clay Jensen: But kids don't kill kids, right? I mean, like school shootings and drugs and stuff, but not like that, not here.

Ani Achola: Didn't you want to kill him?

Clay Jensen: I didn't mean it!

Ani Achola: Did you feel it?

Clay ignores the question.

Ani Achola: We can't talk about this here. My mother could come outside.

Clay Jensen: I'm in trouble. Right? I'm in trouble.

Ani Achola: You came by here last week and you threatened to kill him and his mother heard you. And now he's dead. I think we're in trouble.

Clay Jensen: We are or I am?

I drive to Tyler's house to pick him up. Tony told me about his training last night, Tyler wasn't in his right head. He was quiet on the drive to school. So I decided to break the silence.

Hannah Baker: You coming to Caleb's gym tonight?

Tyler Down: You're going?

Hannah Baker: Yeah. I need to get some training in. Training with Caleb has been really helpful. No one will ever hurt me again.

Tyler Down: (Stammering) Do you think they'll find Bryce?

Hannah Baker: (Sighs) I don't know. I don't care.

Tyler Down: What if he's...

Hannah Baker: He's what?

Tyler Down: (Stammering) Gone. Like, for good?

Hannah Baker: You mean if he's... dead?

Tyler doesn't say anything. To be honest, I never even thought of that. What if he's dead? I may hate the guy but I don't want him dead or anyone in that matter.

Hannah & Tyler arrive to school as they walk in and head for class. Meanwhile, Clay & Ani are at the school's gym where the football team are warming up. They just told Justin & Zach about Bryce's death and they are shocked.

Zach Dempsey: Did they say what happened?

Clay Jensen: That's all we know. I just wanted to get to you guys before it hits the news.

Justin begins to walk away as he retches on a trash can before he runs out of the gym and runs to the football field as he begins to cry. Clay followed him to the field to check on him.

Clay Jensen: Hey. Are you... Are you okay?

Justin Foley: No, man. No, I'm not. I'm... I'm fucking sad.