𝖎𝖝. trials and tribulations

𝔳𝔬𝔩𝔲𝔪𝔢 𝔦, 𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖎𝖝

trials and tribulations

If Lyra had to pick a time where the Marauders were the most insufferable, it would be April Fools.

Unfortunately for everyone else in the castle, their celebrations lasted an entire week rather than just a day. It commenced with a prank on the staff, then the week was filled with prank wars between them and other students, before finally concluding with a grand gesture against the Slytherins.

In the year 1976, they had the genius idea of sending a Howler to none other than McGonagall. Her lip twitched as the voices of James and Sirius argued with each other for her affection, before a barrage of poor attempts at flirting were shot at her, all the while Dumbledore and the other teachers chuckled and snorted into their goblets of pumpkin juice.

As for the annual prank wars, the four boys mainly focused their good-natured carnage at the Hufflepuff fourth years and Ravenclaw seventh years. Their excuse was that the badgers needed to grow a backbone, and that the ravens should learn to loosen up once in a while.

At long last, Thursday morning had arrived. Everyone watched with bated breath as the Marauders swaggered into the Great Hall only a few minutes before breakfast was meant to end. They sat and crunched on their toast in uncharacteristic silence, before leaving obediently on time for Potions first period.

If you knew anything about the great rivalry between the Gryffindors and Slytherins, then you would know that this wasn't meant to be mistaken as an act of maturity. Oh, no — it was more so a warning to the snakes that they wouldn't know what hit them.

Literally.

It all started at dinner. The Bloody Baron had made a comment about Nearly Headless Nick, calling him both a coward for not severing the rest of himself, and an attention-seeker for his title being ❛Nearly Headless❜. This resulted in a fusillade of insults being thrown back and forth between Amycus and Sirius, until Mulciber, Wilkes, Avery, James, Remus, and Peter got involved.