Chapter 31: The Truth About Chlöe

Start from the beginning

Jessica Davis: I think Chlöe's at Sacred Heart, but we don't talk anymore.

Clay Jensen: But you two seemed pretty close after Spring Fling.

Jessica Davis: Yeah, friends come and go.

Ani Achola: Really? Just like that?

Hannah Baker: Were Chlöe and Zach ever anything?

Jessica Davis: Just friends. Chlöe had major Stockholm when it came to Bryce.

Hannah Baker: I bet she did.

Clay Jensen: So, you don't think Chlöe and Zach had any secrets?

Jessica Davis: I know Chlöe had secrets.

Hannah Baker: Like?

Jessica Davis: Like... she was pregnant. By Bryce.

Holy shit! Bryce impregnated her? She didn't look pregnant when I last saw her, which last June. Chlöe tranfered from Liberty after the school year. Here's what I do know about Zach & Chlöe: It was Zach who got Chlöe & Bryce together. He gave Bryce her phone number. That's how they ended up dating.

After Monty left the police station the night before, he first thought that maybe Tyler ratted him out to the police. Monty confronts Tyler by the stairway, he denies going to the police as Monty threatened to teach him the same lesson. Unbeknownst to Monty, Alex was watching. Monty goes to use the bathroom as Alex follows him inside. He tells Monty to stay away from Tyler as he threatened him with a knife. At Padilla's Automotive, Sheriff Diaz arrives to ask Tony some questions. Tony hasn't been attending school, instead he has been working at his father's garage.

Tony Padilla: Morning, Sheriff. You got something the boys in the county garage can't fix?

Sheriff Diaz: Shouldn't you be in school, son?

Tony Padilla: My future is here, sir, so... How can I help you?

Sheriff Diaz: I need to ask you about Bryce Walker.

Tony Padilla: I see.

Sheriff Diaz: Are you aware he's been missing since Friday night?

Tony Padilla: I've heard some talk, yeah.

Sheriff Diaz: You've had some run-ins with him in the past.

Tony Padilla: I haven't, actually. Bryce and I have always been very... um, friendly.

Sheriff Diaz: But you're not friends?

Tony Padilla: I don't have many friends.

Sheriff Diaz: I find that hard to believe.

Tony Padilla: I have high standards.

Sheriff Diaz: And Bryce doesn't meet them?

Tony Padilla: Sir, with all due respect, I haven't seen Bryce in months. So, why are you talking to me about him?

Sheriff Diaz: Well, come on, son. You're a convicted felon with 2 strikes who's missed 22 days of school. You're exactly the kind of person I should be talking to.

Tony Padilla: Fair enough.

Sheriff Diaz: Were you at the homecoming game?

Tony Padilla: I was.

Sheriff Diaz: Were you part of that fight?

Tony Padilla: I was not.

Sheriff Diaz: Can anyone confirm that?