Chapter 31: The Truth About Chlöe

Start from the beginning

Hannah Baker: He said the same to me, that he didn't know who did it.

Why would Zach lie to us? Or maybe he didn't know that it was Bryce. Regardless, we went to look for him at the weight room where he & Alex currently have Weight Lifting class. Clay shows him Zach the pictures as he looks at them.

Zach Dempsey: So, yeah, it was Bryce.

Clay Jensen: I saw this picture and I thought you should know, you know? Because... I mean, it looks like he did it on purpose. In this one, it looks like you're looking at him, but crazy night, I guess, so you didn't see him.

Zach Dempsey: Who took these pictures?

Hannah Baker: I don't know because I wasn't there.

Ani Achola: Well, everyone was taking pictures.

Clay Jensen: But it probably doesn't matter. Your knee's gonna heal, right? No harm done.

Zach Dempsey: No harm done? I had handwritten letters from 3 different schools coming into this year, You think they'll wanna recruit me after they hear my knee has 2 surgeries? No! I'm fucking done.

Hannah Baker: But you didn't know he did it? Or you didn't tell anyone?

Ani Achola: Why wouldn't you have reported him?

Zach Dempsey: I've been fighting with Bryce Walker my whole fucking life. Okay? Ever since Pop Warner in the 5th Grade. Now that he's gone, more than ever. Monty, Luke, Taylor, all those guys, they're Bryce's boys. They wanted to do things his way. I just wanted to do things better. I didn't want my time at Liberty to be about The Clubhouse and... girls getting raped, you know?

Hannah Baker: Yeah, I get it.

Zach Dempsey: Sorry to bring that up, Han. It's just... I knew that we could do better. If any of those guys find out it was Bryce that took me down... that he was the one that took me out for good... then he wins. And I've worked so hard to put Bryce in the past.

So did I. I've spent the past 8 months trying to put Bryce Walker in the past, but he just keeps popping up in my head. He was the reason why I ended things with Clay. Later on, me, Ani, & Clay head for our 2nd class of the day. I sit next to Clay while Ani sits behind him.

Clay Jensen: Look, Zach's gym bag.

We look at Zach and his gym bag.

Hannah Baker: What about it?

Ani Achola: Always at his side. Why do athletes think a gym bag is an accessory?

Hannah Baker: Ha! Good one, Ani.

Clay Jensen: The rabbit's foot, it's gone.

We look at gym bag again. He's right, it's gone.

Hannah Baker: It's gone.

Clay Jensen: It was there this morning.

Hannah Baker: I saw it, too.

Ani Achola: He lost it maybe.

Clay Jensen: No, he took it off.

Hannah Baker: Chlöe gave it to him last spring.

Clay Jensen: Bryce's girlfriend, Chlöe.

Chlöe Rice. Jessica told me about her when I woke up from my coma. She lied to the court during my trial for Bryce. I've seen her around since retuning to Liberty. We've never spoken to each other. But Jessica has. I texted Jess to meet up with us and that we wanted to ask her about Chlöe.