𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

Guilt

Guilt. That is all that Will Hunting feels. It rattles her bones and shakes her to the core. It wraps its hand around her throat and squeezes until the bitter zephyr can no longer flood her lungs. She trudged the halls of of Welton Academy, the moon shining through the open windows. None of the professors on nightly watch dare to tell Will it is past curfew, knowing that in this moment the rules do not apply to her.

She felt as though she had no more tears left to cry over Neil. She just felt numb.

The girl falters mid stride when she sees one of the classrooms unlocked and the door wide open. Light shines from within and costs the marble floor in a yellow and orange glow. Silently, she crept over and peaked inside. There stands Mr. Keating, half filled boxes surrounding him. The wooden desk at the front of the room was cleared of all trinkets and novels. The room was a barren wasteland.

"You can come in, Ms. Hunting." The teacher suddenly stated, making Will jump in surprise. Mr. Keating glances up and gives the teenager a warm smile. "There's a good deal more light in here I reckon."

Following the recommendation, Will enters the classroom, wringing her hands nervously.

"I'm sorry." She suddenly blurted out, much to Mr. Keating's surprise. "I'm so sorry." She repeated, having no other words to say but those.

"My dear, there is nothing to apologize for." Mr. Keating informed her. Will shakes her head adamantly.

"There is." She told him. "I shouldn't have signed the paper."

"What were your options?" The teacher questioned. "What two choices were presented to you?" When Will does not immediately answer, he begins to pack once more.

"It was sign the papers, or go to jail." Will eventually replied. At this, Mr. Keating stops. He turns around and leans against one of the many desks.

"Then you made the right choice." He stated.

"But I got you fired! You did nothing wrong. Neil-" Will cuts herself off as she speaks his name. It feels foreign upon her tongue and stings, almost like poison. She no longer feels numb, like she once did. She feels distraught. Mr. Keating sees sadness wash over the girls face and steps towards her. He places a gentle hand on her shoulder.

"You wanna talk about it?" He questioned, making Will's expression immediately shift from grief to nothing at all.

"No..." The girl trailed off, shaking her head. She lightly brushed off the contact that Mr. Keating initiated, hoping that the conversation would end there.

"Hey, Will? I don't know a lot. But you see this? All this shit. It's not your fault." Mr. Keating told her. In the months that Will has known the teacher, she has never heard him swear before. When his words sink in she gives a brief laugh and a smile.

"Yeah, I know that." She said with an absentminded shrug of her shoulders. She looks to the floor and goes quiet, not trusting herself to talk anymore.

"Look at me, kid. It's not your fault." Mr. Keating continued.

"I know." Will repeated.

"It's not your fault." Mr. Keating does not stop. He gave the girl a sad smile as he spoke, but Will did not repeat the action.

"I know."

"No, no, you don't. It's not your fault." Mr. Keating sternly told her, needing to get the message across.

"I know."

"It's not your fault."

"All right." Will gives up in trying to reason with the man and goes to exit the room. Before she does however, Mr. Keating's voice floods her ears.

"It's not your fault."

Will does not move. She does not respond. Slowly, she spins around to face the teacher once more.

"It's not your fault."

"Don't fuck with me." The Hunting girl demanded, her voice breaking towards the last syllable.

"It's not your fault." Mr. Keating does not falter in the slightest.

"Don't fuck with me all right?" Will ordered, shoving Mr. Keating backwards and away from her. She doesn't care in this moment that she could get into serious trouble for attacking an adult. She only wants to prevent the sobs that are building in her chest. "Don't fuck with me, Keating, not you."

"It's not your fault..." Mr. Keating trailed off as Will buried her face into her hands. "It's not your fault..." He places a reassuring hand on the back of her head as he speaks. It is in that moment when Will completely and utterly breaks down.

"Oh God....Oh God, I'm so sorry." She spoke through heavy sobs. She pulls Mr. Keating into a tight embrace, crying against his black knitted sweater. Her body shakes with each breath and her wails echo throughout the barren room. She feels as though she is 5 years old again, mourning the loss of her mother. It is different in a way, however. She did not lose a mother this time.

She lost a friend.

She lost the boy she loved.