𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐨

𝐖𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐇𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐬 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐩𝐞𝐨𝐩𝐥𝐞 would refer to as 'social decorum'

𝐖𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐇𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐬 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐩𝐞𝐨𝐩𝐥𝐞 would refer to as 'social decorum'. She does not fit the status quo that was set for her when she was given an extra X chromosome instead of a Y.

The girl stopped wearing dresses at age five after she skinned her knees when an older boy pushed her down. The girl stopped speaking politely to elders when elders stopped speaking politely to her. The girl stopped caring for the world when the world stopped caring for her.

The sea foam green skirt that Mr. Nolan had given her was tightly scrunched into a a baseball shape and thrown into the corner of the room, all of the dust that was collected there sticking to the ball. Will had replaced the covering with a pair of faded denim jeans. Dirt coats the hem, turning the once blue fabric into a light shade of brown. Her charcoal black combat boots had been kicked underneath her cot, wedged between her bag and a stack of school issued textbooks. The only thing that clad Will's feet are a pair of torn white socks. The girl stares at the hole in the cloth, watching as her hallux toe emerges from the torn material. A frown is set on her lips at the sight.
She cannot seem to remember a time when the clothes she wears had not been frayed and or ripped.

The glass of the window is cool, the very contact on bare skin sending shivers up Will's spine. She leans against it, basking in the icy touch. Her knees are tucked tightly into her chest, one armed wrapped around her calves while the other supports a 560 page novel. Her eyes scour across the words typed on the page, ingesting the information she finds like an addict would their drug. She recoils in disgust when her sock makes contact with a moist paper towel that resides on the scratchy green fabric of the blanket. With her index finger and thumb Will picks up the trash and raises an eyebrow at the sight of the foundation, bronzer, highlighter, and blush that cover the material. All of the cosmetics are gone from her skin, the lack of makeup revealing the discoloration on her cheekbone. The flesh had turned a hideous shade of blue and yellow, the two complementary colors mixing together to form a horrid tone of green.

Neil and Todd have vacated the room, the pair now at dinner with the rest of the students and staff. Will, on the other hand, was in no mood to be stared at by her peers, nor was she in the mood to eat the strange meal provided. She continues to spare glances at the small mechanical clock on Todd's desk, waiting for the hand to strike 6:00. Though she would never admit it, she was anticipating the study group that would be formed in Meeks' dormitory room.

Her moment of peace is interrupted by the door pushing open and Neil and Todd entering. Their gazes are immediately drawn to Will sitting on the cot, more specifically her battered face.

"Hello." Will said with an eyebrow raised, putting a bookmark on her page. She closes the novel and places it on the pillow beside her.

"Are you okay?" Todd asked cautiously, sharing a glance with Neil that stands beside him.

"Yeah, I'm fine." Will confirmed, confusion evident in her tone. It is then that she realizes what they are staring at. "Oh, right. I got into a slight altercation with a police officer."