Chapter 8: Dinner Plans

Marinette heaved a sigh of relief after she had presented her revised proposal to Felix for the fifth time. He was silent for a while as he slowly formed his critique.

"Here's the gist, your presentation was alright. But you falter when it comes to the question and answer proportion. Since English isn't your first language you find it hard to immediately understand what they're asking you. Not everyone will be considerate of the language barrier, especially those old farts who refuse to wait for the interpreter. I would need you to keep practicing. Not that I'm saying you'll be able to speak it fluently, but at the very least increase your comprehension and vocabulary," he shared his final judgement. A smile of relief formed on her face.

"Alright, that doesn't seem that bad. At least my presentation's good enough," she thought positively as she started to store away her things in preparation for tomorrow.

"Are you always this positive?" he rhetorically asked as he checked his watch.

"There's nothing wrong with a little positivity on your life after so much bitterness, don't you think?" she answered his question without looking back at him. He scoffed at her words, finding her optimism nauseating to his liking.

"I guess we're finally done for the day. I'll be heading out now, it's already late," he excused himself as the clock indicated that it was past seven in the evening. Marinette half heartedly waved him off, focusing on packing. He didn't mind her actions as he took his leave as well. But once he was down on the main floor, there sat in their living room chaise was a burly man she called father, and a petite woman who was her mother. He bid them goodnight, expecting they'd let him go, just as their daughter would've done.

"Leaving already, son. Stay for dinner, we've already cooked some for you," Tom invited him as he stood up from his seat ushering him to the table without even asking him.

"We were both waiting for you and Marinette to finish. We thought it would be best to wait for you to have dinner here since you've skipped lunch with her today. I'll go get Marinette," Sabine seconded as she ascended the steps.

Remember how much Felix dislikes things out of his control? Well, you could say he currently feels that he has no control whenever he's with this family. He's currently being forced to have dinner with them, breaking his monotony. He could escape, but the large man seems to have positioned himself in a place where he can't currently move from. He felt awkward as the man's once welcoming gaze in front of his wife, has now been to replaced with a stern look.

"I know you're just my daughter's business partner, but if you hurt her the same way your cousin has, I would rest assure that I will pull her out before you could even profit out of her hardwork. Do you understand that young man?" Tom threateningly asked of him. Felix gave a curt nod and promise to do his best as a financial aide.

"As partners we both have an equal share and responsibilities. If one falters the other goes down as well. I wouldn't want to harm our contract in any way or form, sir," he calmly replied unfazed by his menacing gaze. He didn't feel the need to be threatened as such given that his purpose isn't to take her from them, but to elevate their daughter to her dreams. Tom's angry face returned to his smiling one and let out a hearty laugh.

"Don't be so serious, Felix. I'm just doing my job as her father," he jeeringly replied. Copying his emotions, Felix smiled as well and drove the conversation to a lighter matter, like how he's enjoying the new batch of customers from the new students next door. The two got along well, with Tom's welcoming personality and Felix's charisma. But the old man can't help but feel how similar the young man in front of him to the boy who used to be in his seat.

"I really don't know how you can wrangle up people to stay over, Maman," Marinette spoke to her mother with a mixture of surprise and annoyance. She promptly sat beside the boy as her mom was opposite to her.