CHAPTER 16: Black Dahlia

"Dazai, can we talk for a moment please?"

"I'm too busy, sorry." And Dazai left in a hurry.

It was always like that. The brunette had also blocked Chuuya on the phone, most likely under Mori's direction. Chuuya wanted to talk about what had happened with the agent that night. He and Dazai were being asphyxiated and, as much as Dazai loved acting and fame, Chuuya was certain that he didn't like to suffer. Dazai was noticeably agitated. The redhead could often find him walking in circles, muttering to himself and spending his sweet long time gazing at the view from the rooftop. Their social media accounts were suspended to calm the masses but the press was relentless and didn't help ease the tensions. Both actors' careers would probably go downhill after this and although Dazai had chances to get back on track, this downfall would be Chuuya's demise.

"Repeat it again but don't be so close. Wouldn't want people to take it the wrong way." Director Fukuzawa instructed.

"How the hell are we supposed to film a romantic scene in a ROMANTIC MOVIE if we can't even breathe in the same room for 2 freaking seconds! Whose idea was this?!" Chuuya's mind was about to explode.

"There, there, Nakahara-san. Have some water." Atsushi came to him during the break and calmed him down.

Lately he and Akutagawa had become even closer than before. They rubbed against each other when walking together, which was more often than not, and sometimes left their eyes to gaze at the other's sight. Chuuya wasn't about to bring trouble but he could swear they even looked more infatuated than Dazai and him! Why then were they the ones to be harassed and punished but not others who might as well really be in a homosexual relationship? Aaahh yea... Cause they were the famous ones, the ones who had to live for others so as to set an example for society. Fuck the system!

"Um... Nakahara-San..." Atsushi started again. Akutagawa, who had been staying behind, got a little closer to them. "Can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"Um... your situation is pretty dire these months..."

"Yeah, no need to remind me of that." Chuuya rolled his eyes.

"I suppose you don't like it... the harassment and hurtful comments, I mean. D-do you think there are people who deserve them because they are different from the rest?" Atsushi didn't dare to look at him now. He seemed to be nervous and afraid of the answer.

Fortunately, Chuuya could read behind those words and put his hand on Atsushi's shoulder. "Don't worry, Atsushi-kun. Neither of you would ever deserve to be mistreated and shamed for being together." He laid his eyes on Akutagawa reassuringly. "No one deserves to be hurt for being themselves."

The newly paired Shin Soukoku was relieved and they held hands after knowing that they wouldn't be seen by anyone else. They were sooooo cute! If they actually lived in a western country Chuuya knew that they would be shipping and simping material. After clearing everything up, Shin Soukoku had to leave for their own takes but before disappearing behind the door, Atsushi turned his head and said:

"Oh, Nakahara-San. Don't hide your feelings either. Wouldn't you want to be like us, holding hands?"

"W-what are you talking about?"

"With Dazai-San. Don't wait until it's too late. Embarrassment is temporary but regret lasts forever."

And the black and white couple left, leaving Chuuya thoroughly confused and hot inside.

"What the hell?"

I finally finished the exams! Only a research task left. This chapter was short because Shin Soukoku is not the main point of the book but it's a warm image of what Dazai and Chuuya could be in the future. Do you think they will go for it? Or will they remain silent until they can't turn back time?