CHAPTER 5: Lotus Corniculatus

TRIGGER WARNING! This chapter contains graphic and violent content including child abuse and murder. If you are unable to read it, just know that Dazai's past isn't a path of roses.

Swish! Swish! Swish!

The sound was getting closer and closer. Under the crevice of the door the kid could only perceive the light that entered his bedroom which was engulfed by darkness. His chocolate eyes were awaiting patiently and even though his heart could be heard beating like crazy, the young boy remained composed and in his place under the bed.

Swish! Swish! Swish!

The enemy was nearby, dangerously approaching the door. It had already walked upstairs, strong stomping anticipating the threat. The child pressed his weapon with more force to reassure himself, even if the piece was making his hand bleed and hurt. He wouldn't lose this time. Tonight would be the night when his suffering would end.

Swish! Swish! Swish!

The sound came to a halt when the shadow of footsteps finally came to view. The surroundings remained in deadly silence for what seemed like an eternity. The nob of the door turned slowly and slightly until the barrier that protected the youngling from the outside world let way to the intruder.

Swish! Swish! Swish!

Now he could see the belt, flying up and down, cutting the air aggressively and hitting the ground in every landing to the floor. He shivered but remained in his place. The drunken voice of the monster taunted him:

-Come out, little boy. If you're good to daddy I might reward you. I will lash you with your pants on. Here, scaredy cat. There's nothing to worry about. –

The boy knew well not to obey. It hadn't ended well in the past, not like it ever did, but this time I'd be different. The old man, now impatient, grabbed his son by an arm and dragged him out of his hiding.

-You fucking pest! My misery is your fucking fault! You're worth nothing, you're not even good for prostitution! If you give nothing you deserve to die! –

The man violently threw him on the bed, laying him on his stomach and aiming at his back with the belt. Normally the kid remained in place when this happened because if he tried to flee or evade him, his father would punish him harder afterwards. 

Now it was different: The child dodged the attack and quickly stood on his feet, not wasting a second to approach his father and stab him in the crotch. Taken by surprise, the man knelt down, trying to cover the blood from his severe wound and gasping, still wondering what had happened. His eyes finally met the ones of his son, who now looked down on him.

-Happy Father's Day, daddy. I love you. –

The man could not react because the boy stabbed him again and again, this time on the chest. Mercilessly he punctured the skin, blood spilling on his face and body. He kept at it until there was nothing that could tell that the owner of that coagulated substance had been a human being. The boy breathed raggedly, taking time to rest after such a strenuous activity. 

However, he had not much time to recover because a scream interrupted him along with the horrified look on his mother's face. She ran away and the kid followed her, catching her easily and stabbing her in the back. The woman shouted, calling for help and pleading for mercy, the one she had never had when her baby cried at her beatings. The child attacked her legs next and she fell to the ground. She still had the strength to crawl to the door but there was no escape. The little one grabbed her by the hair and took revenge for all the abuse he had suffered since he could remember. 

Only when some time had passed did his euphoria and adrenaline dissipate. He was now standing on a butchered corpse, another one starting to rot upstairs. The boy laughed at first, hysterically so, but that apparent sign of relief was replaced by pained tears soon after. He had killed his parents. He was finally free but now he was a murderer.

An unexpected knock on the door followed by the arrival of a man put the boy's laments to an end. The uninvited guest had black hair tied in a short ponytail and wore an attire that reminded the kid of a vampire. He wasn't scared of the creatures of the night, though, so he stared defiantly at the newcomer. He wouldn't hesitate to confront him if needed. The man however, just smiled at him and knelt to be at his height.

-Don't worry kiddo. I won't do anything to you. Let's make a deal: I will give you a life everyone would want and not a single person on Earth will know what you did. In exchange, I know you have something of value to me. Are you interested or should I leave you alone for the police to find you? –

The man didn't address him paternalistically. They both knew there was no need for sugar-coated words and childish tones. They were talking to one another as equals. Because while the adult was ruthless and could offer the stability the boy was missing, the younger one was smarter and capable of the unimaginable, a potential diamond to beneficiate its owner.

-I'll come with you. But if you ever hurt me, I will kill you. –

The vampire-like figure smiled satisfied and stood up again. He turned to the door, prepared to leave the crime scene before they were caught.

-Okay kiddo, I promise I will never hurt you like they did. –

He opened the door and took a few steps outside. It was still dark and the wind blew softly. Crickets sang, taking advantage of the last hours of the night before they had to go to sleep.

-You haven't told me your name yet. I know you already know mine. What should I call you? –

-I'm Dazai, Osamu Dazai. –

Well, here we are! I guess I'll have to classify this story as "mature" but I love pain and suffering hahaha. Yeah, I know this past for Dazai is too commonly used but seriously, we're here for the romance, right? Any suggestions are encouraged. I may end up not following through but it would be very helpful to hear what you like or dislike. Thanks again for reading!