The abyss in me (Part 5)

Start from the beginning

Suddenly, Sir Casper stepped outside and informed me that the King agreed to meet and suggested to eat dinner with me while talking about the reason I requested to see him.

I will never forget the feeling of my heart fluttering from excitement and a smile took place in my lips. Hope for better days bloomed in my chest and even an encouraging thought that maybe, just maybe he would believe me after this conversation and we can come closer.

Huh such optimistic thoughts. This might be the crucial line that separates childhood from adulthood, trying to always believe on the better outcome. Some will call me innocent considering my young age and others stupid for looking at the tree and not the forest.

I call myself naïve for thinking I could change my checkered destiny. My fate was always to become the Queen of Solkey and I will never escape from that.

~...~

Dinner time was around the corner and I even skipped lunch that day as nothing went down on that tight stomach. My anxiety reached its maximum limits and I remember my heart beating like a small drum against my chest.

This was the chance I longed for to come closer with my father after the funeral and get my aunt and her shady plans out of sight. We could come up with a plan along with my father and rule the kingdom together. That way people would feel at peace being ruled by a gifted royal member of Edelweiss family as was the custom from the beginning and I could change the system creating a better country for both rich and poor.

Yes, I only needed to remove my aunt's toxic presence from my father's side and everything would work well.

Sophia helped me dress on an elegant deep blue dress quite different from the plain ones I was used to wear on a daily basis and braided my hair nicely adding some jewels in the process. Not long after this preparation, she guided me towards the central dinning haul where my father already waited for me.

I gulped some saliva from nervousness feeling my father's intense gaze on my figure and approached his position with quick steps.

"May the wisdom of Marcus Edelweiss light your path, your Highness!", I said with a bowing gesture and my father just raised an eyebrow.

"May the soul of Solkey rest in your heart. You can rest now, you don't need to be so formal around me.", he sharply replied and I nodded taking place right at the other side of the round table at the center of the room, where a plate was already placed.

"I heard you want to talk with me.", he noted and waited for me to explain the reason of our meeting.

"Father...", I began to speak but a knot in my throat prevented me from saying any more words.

My father stopped his movements and turned his attention on me. Feeling his gaze I looked at him too inside his eyes of the same color as mine and suddenly tears I kept holding back for days seemed to have found their way down my cheeks.

It wasn't the right time to show this side of me to the man I wanted to trust me and think of me as a brave person with whom he could rely the future of this country and yet my heart betrayed me.

Suddenly, though my vision went blare from the tears and my lungs burned from lack of oxygen, I will never forget the strong, warm hands that embraced my frail body. It was like a wall had been raised around me providing me security so as I could pour my heart out as much as I wanted without being afraid of shaming my royal image in front of the palace servants.

"F-father! I-It wasn't m-my fault! I-I had turned off that l-lamp! I-It wasn't my fault!!!", I kept repeating over and over.

My father didn't say anything in response but kept stroking affectionately my hair in an effort to make me calm down.