Chapter Twenty Seven: Hephaestus

ATHENA

"Broken hearted, are we?" Napalingon ako sa nagsalita mula sa likod ko. I saw Hephaestus with his grim smile. It was creepy yet playful. His eyes looks amused as if he won't be doing good anytime soon.

I looked away from him and just look into nowhere. The outside surroundings of Olympus is far different from the mortal. The sun in Olympus, never rises, and sets. Darkness also doesn't come here that often. Hades was right when we first met. Mortal world is too bright, but too dark to live in... because here in Olympus, it was never like that.

Olympus is an epitome of equilibrium of moon and sun. There will be no constant darkness. There will be no constant brightness. It is balanced... like how the Olympians should be. We should see that darkness and brightness at the same time, at the same moment... every time.

"Why offer your heart to Hades when you're not bound to him?" he chuckled and stood beside me. He put his hands on his pocket. I saw it from my peripheral view. He sighed and followed my gaze. The open nothingness of the Olympus.

"Weird, isn't it? We're not bound to anyone but still felt like it."

"Why? Are we in the same boat?" I scoffed.

"Sort of... years ago when Aphrodite isn't a queen yet."

Napalingon ako sa kaniya. I know that for some quite time, Hephaestus was close with Aphrodite. They were together but it ended the day that Aphrodite married Ares, and Hephaestus was sent to consecutive missions for years. It resulted for them to grow distance away from each other.

He chuckled. "Well, yes. I can see myself in you, as well Hades to Aphrodite... We're best of friends. Aphrodite and I. We love each other like how I can see the love in you, and Hades eyes. That's thrilling to see... but I can see the end of the both of you that moment I saw it..."

Napakurap ako at napangisi. "Right."

"Our love was genuine but she's bound to someone when I'm not but we still pushed through... not knowing that little by little, that genuine love is being erased as Ares comes in the picture... that whenever I'm in my mission for the mortals, their fate becomes tighter..."

Tumingin siya sa akin.

"You're saying that we will end up like them?" I felt a twist in my stomach as soon as I realized that his love for me will fade away, the same as the promises we shared together. The memories, the moments... the laughter, the tears that we shared... and everything... it will fade away and will be replaced by Persephone's...

Fuck.

That's a full blow of pain, huh?

"It might... unlike humans, fighting for our fate will never be a win...that's how lucky humans are. We're the powerful one, but we're the defenseless when it comes to those things we really crave for."

"Ironic..." I commented.

He heaves a breath. He moved and snaked his arms around my waist like what he did earlier. My heart pounded with surprise. Mabilis akong dumistansya sa kaniya.

"What the hell are you doing?"

Napangisi siya at napailing. "You're lucky. You and I... we're not bound to anyone. Hence, we're free to choose except those who were fucking taken."

"I don't care about that." I dismissed him.

If not Hades...

Then better not anyone.

***