Chapter 20: Keris and Ariah

Ariah and I have been secret friends for about two years now. The only people who know are her dad, Oliver Quigly, and my sister, Iris.

Daddy took Keris and me to the park. We always end up playing in the trees somehow. Today, Keris bet me that he could climb the tree faster than I could. 

Ariah is climbing faster than me. She was smaller and lighter than I was.

I smile, because I know that Keris can't possibly beat me now.

I'm jumping from branch to branch now, as fast as I can. 

CRACK.

Where's Keris?

I can't feel my arm.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wyndar and I visit Keris in the hospital almost every day. When Wyndar can't come, I do anyway, and give Keris a few new books to read, or movies to watch. Sometimes we just talk. Take today for instance.  Keris and I were chatting when I found out that he had never heard about Alex Rider.

Ariah is staring at me like I just grew a second head. "You don't know Alex Rider?" "Um, no. Is he in our class?" Her eyes got even wider. "Oh my gosh, you're serious. Don't worry, I'll fix this." 

Two days later, she came staggering into my hospital room, a stack of twelve books balanced precariously in her arms. "Read them." She ordered. "Read them all." 

Keris has been reading my Alex Rider books carefully, just as I'd asked. That was awfully nice of him, especially because letting him borrow my books is a big risk for me. I'm The Library Dragon about my collection- nobody is allowed to borrow them. NOBODY. I don't trust anyone enough for that. But Keris has been respectful with my babies. He hasn't dog-eared the pages (one of my biggest pet peeves), and he's actually taking an interest in the story. Just for that, I think, I fell in love with him.

I love the books Ariah gave me! I suspect that they came from her private library, which makes them even more special. I love the way she talks about things she's read. To her, the story comes alive. Literally. Every story she reads plays out behind her eyes, and it becomes as much a part of her as the very air she breathes. I've never met anyone like her. 

I doubt I ever will again.

I've been in the hospital for about two weeks before I finish the books, and have somehow worked up the courage to ask her to bring her violin with her tomorrow. She bites her lip. Ariah doesn't really like to play for people. "Well....... Alright." She agrees.

I'm not as scared to play for Keris as I thought I'd be. I've been thinking about what to play for him. Maybe something I'm still working on learning? Suddenly, I know exactly the one I want to play.

Nebulous.

I've never heard this song before, but I know that Ariah loves it. I can see it on her face, in the joy shining through her eyes. I want to see that look on her face every day, for the rest of my-

 Wait. 

What? 

It hits me like a ton of bricks. Somehow, someway, I've managed to fall head-over-heels in love with this girl. 

-----------------------------------------------------------

Okay, so. A few things I should make known:

1. I'm changing Bea's hair. She is now a redhead, with curly, shoulder-length hair. 

2. I am ageing Keris and Ariah up one year. She is now a high-school senior and he and Wyndar are in their freshman year at the community college.

3. This is regarding new chapters. 

School this year is going to be a lot more tough than I thought. Last year, I had three periods where I did basically nothing, and the homework was extremely light, so I had a lot of time to write and update. This year, however, the only time where I get a chance to write are the 20-30 minutes before school starts, and maybe an hour or two after I get home at night. And I generally have to use that time to do my homework and study, so I'm not gonna have much time to write. 

I'm really sorry. But I promise, I'm going to write as much as I can!

If you like the story so far,

Comment here 👉,

Vote ✔,

Or just keep reading! 📖

Love y'all,

                                            G.