Chapter 33: Bea

Thankfully, the kids decided that the door in the attic would work to open a permanent portal to Archon, and a lot of the survivors felt better after a good rest. They were all anxious to get home, so after another large breakfast, we all crowded into my attic. Ariah and Keris went around the group, asking each one if they were ready and up to the task. They stood in front of the door for a moment, talking. Then Ariah came up to me.

"Miss Bea?" She asked. 

"Yes?" 

She sighed. "It appears as though we're one short. In light of that, I have an unusual request."

"What is it? I'll help in any way I can." 

She hesitated for a moment, before blurting it out. "I need to unlock two percent of your brain power. We need some more energy if we're going to create and stabilize a permanent rift in the Veil, and none of the other Arkites have enough rest to pull this off, and-" 

"Honey," I cut her off, "I'd love to."

"Really?" 

I smile. "Of course, dear. I'd love to help."

"Well then, I, uh, I guess I'd better get started."

She reached for my temple, and as soon as her cold fingertips touched my head, I could feel something unlocking and sliding into place. Suddenly, I was aware of a tingly, liquid-like warmth at the base of my skull. It was actually very pleasant.

"Is this how y'all feel all the time?" I asked her, and she smiled.

"Pretty cool, huh?"

"Absolutely amazing." 

She told me what I would need to do to help open the portal, and walked back to Keris and grabbed his hand. I tried very, very hard not to squeal, but what can I say? I'm a fangirl of the first order. Those two were Meant To Be.

"Okay, here we go!" Keris shouted, and two-thirds of the Arkites put a hand on the doorframe. They concentrated, picturing the place on Archon that the door would be connected to, and carefully cut a mental hole in the fabric of the Veil that separated the two realities. As soon as they were done, the rest of the Arkites and I rushed to the door and poured our mental energy out like caulk, cementing the Veil's edges to the doorframe. 

And that was it. It was done. Ariah opened the door, revealing her backyard. The soldiers that had been on her street had vanished, as all of the soldiers in Archon had mysteriously received orders last night to pull out. 

I glance at Ben, who has a little twinkle in his blue eyes. 

One by one, the Arkites went through the door and to their homes, until it was just Keris, Ben, Ariah, and me. 

"What are you going to do now?" Ben asked them. 

"Well," Keris said, "I think the smart thing to do would be to find out how the humans found our planet, and how they got in. We should probably check the portals, and see how many are connected to military bases." 

Ben and I looked at each other, and a spark of understanding flashed between us. I turn to the kids. "We'll help you."

They tried to protest, but Ben and I managed to convince them. 

"Okay then." Ariah said. "I guess this isn't a goodby, but rather a 'See you soon'."

Ben and I hugged them. "See you soon, Darlin'." I told them, and they vanished through the door. 

Ben and I smiled at each other, held each other's hand, and went downstairs to the waiting soldiers, already planning our next step.

THE END