Chapter 23: Keris and Ariah

My father is dead. 

He had a disease of some kind, and didn't tell anyone. We thought that he was just getting older, and that's why he was starting to forget things, but apparently he had a neurological disease. 

Mom won't stop crying. 

Today is the funeral for Wyndar and Ariah's father. I didn't know him all that well, but I know that he was one of the most important people in 'Riah's life. I haven't told her about my crush on her yet, so she can't possibly know how much it hurts me to see her crying like this. It's as if her tears will never end.

I can see the minister talking, but I can't hear what he's saying. It feels like I'm stranded on an island in the middle of a storm, and no one can rescue me for the crashing fury of the waves.

'Riah's mom is trying to get her to move. The service is over, and it's time to put Mr. Quigly in the family mausoleum. I don't think Ariah can hear her.

Someone is shaking my arm, but my feet are sunk beneath the sand, and I can't move them, no matter how hard I try.

Mrs. Quigly is angry now, and I hear her shout at Ariah. "You selfish girl, don't you know we're grieving too? If you can't bestir yourself to come to the burial, then you can stay here!" 

'Riah doesn't answer her. She just keeps staring straight ahead, tears dripping down her face.

Whomever was shaking me has stopped, and I feel more alone on my island than I ever have in my whole life. 

I ask my parents if I can stay back, with Ariah. They are almost as worried for her as I am. Iris and I are going to take care of Riah while my parents go and console Mrs. Quigly and Wyndar. 

I don't think Wyndar has realized yet that he'll never see his father again.

Iris stays off to the side, wringing her hands. Neither of us no quite what to do, but it's up to me to try. I am the oldest one in the room, at thirteen, after all. "'Riah," I say gently, and shake her arm. 

She doesn't react. "Riah." I say, louder.

I can hear someone trying to talk to me, but their voice is drowned out by the waves surrounding me. I can feel the sand pulling me deeper, no matter how much I struggle to escape it. 

Riah is shaking now, so much so that I can barely keep my grip on her arm. I grab her other one and hold on to her. "Ariah!" I yell, scared now.

"Ariah!" 

The sand stops sinking beneath my feet as I hear Keris' voice above the storm. 

"K-Keris?" 

Oh, thank you, God!

"Riah, are you ok?" I ask her. Her eyes find mine through the tears, and she whispers.

"Why does it hurt so much without him?"

I don't quite know what to say, so I tell her the truth.

"I don't know."

"Do you think the hurting will ever go away?"

"I don't know. But I do know that, no matter what happens, Iris and I will always be right there with you, and we'll never leave." 

"Why? How do you know that you won't, Keris?"

It's time to tell her, I realize.

"Because, Ariah. I love you, and I'm never, ever going to stop."

Did Keris really just say that? The look on his face said that he did. 

"I love you, too, Keris."

And then I wrap my arms around his neck and cry out the rest of my sadness.

-------------------------------------

OH MY GOSH THAT WAS THE CUTEST/SADDEST THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(And I say that as someone with a pet cat!)

I hate that Riah's dad died! He was her best friend! 😭😭

BUT KERIS CONFESSED TO RIAH!!!! 

I swear, I could hear EeveeGirl25 squealing with a cuteness overload while I wrote this. 

And, all of my homework is done with for now! 

And Oh my lord, I have to tell you. So, my aunt got married over the summer, and she's a math major. Our whole family (Well, the part we count,) is a nerd of some kind. Jack is a theatre nerd, Aunt J is a math nerd, I am a math nerd, and my dad is a Bible nerd. Well, last Saturday, Aunt J and her husband came over to our house, and Uncle Gigantor- 

(Yes, it's a KOTLC reference. Don't tell EeveeGirl! She's only on book 1!) (Also he's, like, ten feet tall.) 

Uncle Gigantor brought a game of Monopoly.

But not just any Monopoly. A version of the game that proves that he does, indeed, belong in this family.

He brought Lord of the Rings Monopoly.

And proceeded to spend an hour telling us about how the Lord of the Rings is about the greatest bromance in history.

No, I am not making this up. It was the funniest thing I've ever seen. 

Also, I somehow managed to win, despite not even participating in the last half of the game.

That takes skills, people. Feel free to be impressed.

If you like the story so far,

Comment here 👉, 

Vote ✔,

Or just keep reading! 📖

Love y'all,

                                                                     G.