Chapter 26: The Aftermath Of The Trial

Start from the beginning

Tyler Down: Why would you come back?

Hannah Baker: Because my friends go here. And as Bolan has informed me, won't have to worry about Bryce. He's transferring to Hillcrest.

Tyler Down: Good riddance. But, what about Monty and the other jocks?

Hannah Baker: I've got Clay & Tony & Zach & maybe Justin if he gets out to back me up.

Tyler Down: Then I guess I'll see you on Monday.

Hannah Baker: Yeah, you will.

I smile at Tyler and give him a hug.

After hugging Tyler, Hannah makes her way out. From across the hallway, Monty was looking on as he stares at Tyler. The bell rings as class is over. Monty enters Bryce's classroom as he is finishing his school work. Monty sits down next to Bryce.

Monty de la Cruz: Fucking Tyler Down is back. And so is Hannah Baker.

Bryce Walker: So?

Monty de la Cruz: So, I wanna break his head open.

Bryce Walker: Yeah, that's a great idea at this particular time.

Monty de la Cruz: The field, the thing with Marcus... He cost us our season. We need to do something.

Bryce Walker: We are not gonna do a goddamn thing. I'm on probation.

Monty de la Cruz: Right, I know. I got you. I'll take care of it.

Bryce Walker: Clearly your father didn't beat you hard enough, 'cause you're still a fucking idiot.

Monty was sporting a cast on his left hand after his father beat him for what he did to everyone.

Bryce Walker: The last time you tried to help, you almost fucked up my whole plea deal.

Monty de la Cruz: Well, none of it came back to you.

Bryce Walker: No one was gonna believe I didn't know about all the shit that you did. I had to give you my goddamn lawyer.

Monty de la Cruz: I would've taken the fall if I had to. I kept you clean.

Bryce Walker: What did you think would happen if you killed Clay Jensen in my car?

Monty de la Cruz: I knew those kids could fuck everything up for us, and they did.

Bryce Walker: Well, you helped.

Bryce gets up as he starts packing up

Monty de la Cruz: I... Tell me what you want me to do. Okay? I'll make it right.

Bryce Walker: I want you to leave it alone. And leave me alone. We're done.

Bryce just walks away from Monty. Tyler is in the library working on some homework when Cyrus comes up to him.

Cyrus: Mack said you guys had a good talk.

Tyler Down: Yeah. She's dating Eric now, huh?

Cyrus nods at him.

Tyler Down: Yeah, that's cool.

Cyrus: You're okay, right? I mean, watching out for yourself? Those fucking jocks were not happy about the field and the season.

Tyler Down: Yeah. I'll be careful.

Cyrus: Good. And you know... about everything...

Tyler Down: Yeah. No, me, too. Yeah.