Chapter 25: The Sentencing

Start from the beginning

Jessica was very strong. It brought tears to my eyes. After Jessica was done, it was my turn. My parents help me up as I crutch my way to the podium. I can move my legs almost perfectly. I think I need another week before I can walk on my own.

Hannah Baker: Thank you for letting me speak, your honor.

The judge nods at me. I take out the piece of paper where I wrote down what I'm gonna say.

Hannah Baker: (Inhales) When I first meet you, it was at a party at my house. You seem like a nice guy. But my friend, Kat warned me about you with Clay Jensen backing her up. I didn't listened. You did seem like a great guy. I did enjoyed hanging out with you. But then you sent out that picture of me from Justin's phone. I was labeled a slut at school because of you. I hated you for that. When the Hot or Not List came out, you wanted to know if the list got it right. I ran into you at the Blue Spot liquor store and you paid for the candy I was buying. That's when you groped my butt. You told me that the list got it right. Then one night, I went for a walk. I found myself at your house where you were having a party. Jessica was there. A week after you raped her. She didn't know at the time. She convinced me to get in the hot tub. I took my clothes off and got into the hot tub in my underwear. I was in the hot tub, sitting there under the stars, I closed my eyes and I felt at peace for the first time in days. When I opened my eyes, I was alone in the hot tub with him, and there was... The way he looked at me, there was something in his eyes.

I turn to look at Bryce.

Hannah Baker: And I was afraid. When I tried to climb out of the hot tub, you pulled me back in. You told me we were "just having fun." But we weren't. I struggled, but you were too strong for me. You broke me. You drove me to do this...

I lifted up my sleeves and show him my scars.

Hannah Baker: Take a good look at it, Bryce! You made me do this.

I pull my sleeves down and face the judge.

Hannah Baker: Your Honor, like Jessica Davis said when she was up here "The sentence you decide today can tell Bryce Walker what he did was wrong." Not just to me, not just to Jessica, but also to Chlöe Rice and the rest of the girls who went to The Clubhouse. You'll be sending a message to every young men in the world. Thank you.

I felt relieved. And I felt strong. I go back to my seat as I sit with my parents.

Judge: Prosecution has put forth a sentencing recommendation. Does the defense have anything to contribute?

Warren: Your Honor, this is a terribly unfortunate event. And 3 young lives have been changed forever. Bryce has lost all his scholarship offers. The school district has cancelled what might well have been a championship season.

Oh, cry me a river. But yeah it's true. Because of Chlöe Rice's testimony about The Clubhouse and the fact that it existed on school campus, the district canceled the baseball season for Liberty. Coach Rick was fired. And it's all thanks to Clay, Zach, & Justin who brought them down. They told the school about The Clubhouse. Zach deserves most of the credit because he was a part of it, but he never hurt any of those girls.

Warren: There is regret on all sides. We urge the court to let these 3 young people start rebuilding and return to their lives.

Return to our lives? Our lives are ruined no thanks to Bryce.

Judge: This is a tragedy all around. As a judge, it's my role to look at both sides. And California law requires every judge to consider rehabilitation and probation for first-time offenders. I'd like to see these 2 young people look hard at their lives and their choices. But I don't want to do any further damage. Mr. Walker...