Chapter 44

Rosie popped her head into my office about an hour ago once she returned from her shopping spree

Rosie popped her head into my office about an hour ago once she returned from her shopping spree. I got notified of the money spent on the credit card, purely as a way of me knowing when it's used so I can pay it off. But, I was pleased to see she had spent a decent amount on it. I was also secretly excited to see what the £65 she spent at Ann Summers, a lingerie shop, was.

She thanked me profusely for the credit card and kissed me until we were breathless, and I was rock hard.

I close my computer down as I make my way out of my office in search of my sweet girl. "Ro? Baby?"

"In here!" She shouts from the bedroom.

I walk inside and almost trip over the bags thrown on the floor. I walk to the closet and see Rosie hanging clothes in the closet wardrobe, filling the space opposite mine.

My heart skips a beat. It feels like...home?

Glancing down at the bag beside her feet, I smile as I bend down to pick it up.

Rosie looks down to me as she places a hanger onto the rail, she instantly drops it and reaches for the bag in my hand.

"No! No!" She shouts as she lunges forward, grabbing it from me and shoving it behind her.

"What? I was only going to help you unpack," I smirk.

"Don't need your help. I'm finished," She shrugs.

I look around her at the Ann Summers bag hidden behind her back. "Sure you don't need any assistance?"

"Wipe that smirk off your face Alexander Carlson, it's only some boring knickers. Don't get your hopes up."

Smiling wide, I turn and head out of the closet, "Must have been a really boring pair of knickers for sixty-five pounds!" I shout.

As I make my way to the door, I'm ambushed by a small bounding figure from behind me. "You cheeky sod!" Rosie shouts as my laughter rings through the air.

I lift Rosie's figure further onto my back as I piggy-back her towards the kitchen.

I set her on top of the counter as I turn to the fridge. Looking for tonight's dinner.

"Alex," Rosie starts.

"Go on."

"I really do appreciate all you've done for me, and all you continue to do," She starts and I turn back towards her, moving between her legs. With the height of the counter, she's just as tall as me now.

"Always baby girl, anything for you."

"But," She drops her gaze.

"But what?" I reply, slipping a finger under her chin and bringing her eyes back to mine.

"I just don't have any way of paying you back, literally and in thanking you for everything you do. I can't do anything for you in return and I hate it."

Sighing I glance over towards where her art supplies sit unused. "Paint for me." I state.

"What?" Rosie asks.

"Paint for me, well, not for me. But just paint. It's you Rosie, it's your life. I hate not seeing you do the things that you love, that make you. I've seen your work, you put your heart and soul into it. Let me take care of you and in return give me everything that is Rosie White, everything that makes you happy."

Rosie looks so deeply into my eyes, I'm sure she's finally seeing all she means to me.

"Alex," She cries, and I wipe the tears away with my thumbs on my cheeks.

"I love you so much Rosie."

"I love you, Alex."

I kiss her with all my heart, feeling the tears, her tears seep into my skin.

"Crashed into my life, the best thing that has ever happened to me," I whisper against her lips.

I lift her up, pulling her into my arms I make my way to the sofa and settle us in for the evening. Flicking on the TV, I pull out my phone and order food in.

I'm even more eager now to get this shit sorted out within Rosie's life. Make her parents pay, sort my parents out and give Rosie her dream.

Because I would move mountains for her.

***

My phone vibrating on the bedside table wakes me from the perfect dream. The one where I'm laying with Rosie's warm, soft body against mine.

I open my eyes and glance down at Rosie in my arms. Not a dream, perfect fucking reality.

Smiling I lean over and grab my phone from the charger. Brandon's number is lighting the screen.

"This better be good for six am," I grumble as Rosie shifts against me.

"The stories hit," He states matter-of-factly. It instantly wakes me and pulls me away from that perfect fucking mood I woke up in.

"We need to do some damage control, get the story as well controlled as we can," I state, pulling myself quietly out of bed as not to wake Rosie.

I make my way quickly down the hallway to my office.

"It's going to be tricky boss; this is a politician we're dealing with here. Anyway, you said you wanted as much media talk as possible. Why the sudden change of mind?"

"I do want the talk, Brandon; I need the talk for Rosie's sake. But I don't want Rosie dragged into it too much."

Brandon sighs down the line, "That's a fucking contradiction in itself but I understand. It's going to be tough. Look at the articles and then let me know if you need me to do anything."

I fire up my computer, "Will do."

I drop my phone to the desk and type in David Whitehall's name into Google search. Brandon was right, the story has hit.

DailyMail, Sky News, BBC, The Sun. Jesus even fucking Hello Magazine.

I read through everyone, making sure I understand how the world is viewing this. They all are heading in the right direction, all outing David Whitehall in his involvement with the crime against his daughter. There's even some dragging Margret Whitehall into it. Perfect.

The door creaking open catches my attention as I see Rosie enter. Her eyes look watery, and I notice she's holding her phone in her hand.

"Come here baby."

She walks over to me just as I shut down the tabs from my computer. She drops into my lap and nestles deep into my hold, something I've noticed she does when she's scared or worried.

Something I secretly like, knowing I'm her safe place, her comfort. I wrap my arms around her, as I kiss her hair.

"They're going to find out who I am, going to realise who I really am eventually."

"I know," I reply. "From now on, I want you to stay here. No leaving until we can get this under control and until we have court dates set in stone, okay?"

She nods, "Yeah."

"Everything will be alright Rosie, I promise."

She nods again, "I know. Just promise me you'll stay with me; I'm scared about what will happen."

I give her a tight squeeze, "I will always be with you Rosie."