"Dear Diary, yesterday I killed my brother's girlfriend. Today, a chipmunk asked me my name, I told him it was Joe. I feel more guilty about the lie than I do the murder," Damon recited, his voice full of angry sarcasm.

Stefan closed his diary and set it aside, "What do you want?"

"I was hoping we could hang, you know a little brother bonding," Damon smiled coyly, "I know we don't actually 'hang out'; we team up, we join forces, we activate our wonder twin powers."

Damon walked over to one of Stefan's many bookshelves and began rummaging through the books and journals.

Stefan rolled his eyes, "What are you doing?"

"Digging up clues. Most of the Originals are gone, but now we have a whodunnit in town," Damon continued to flip through books, "hey, do you remember when we came back for Zachariah's funeral?"

Stefan crossed his arms, "Vaguely, why?"

"If memory serves, he wasn't the first Founders' Council member killed that year or even that month."

"Your point being?"

"I'm trying to remember what year it was."

"1912," Stefan responded without having to give it much thought.

Damon rolled his eyes, "So much for vaguely."

"Dr. Fell?" Emma asked as she approached the doctor that a nurse had pointed her towards.

Dr. Meredith Fell looked up from a chart, "Yes?"

"I'm Emma Peters, Alaric's friend, I just want-" Emma began her introduction civilly but Meredith cut her off.

"I know who you are Ms. Peters, whatever case your here to make for Alaric, make it quick."

"Case? There is no case, and you know it."

"No, I don't, and neither do you. How well do you really know Alaric?" Meredith argued, "Sure you guys consider each other as family, but are you sure he isn't hiding something?"

Emma crossed her arms defensively, "I can assure that I know more than most."

"Let me tell you what I know," Meredith continued arguing, "he was arrested for fighting four times before the age of twenty-one, when he was at Duke, his future wife, Isobel, filed a restraining order against him, twice. Although, then she married him, so I guess that says more about her."

Emma rolled her eyes and clapped sarcastically, "Who do you think paid his bail? As you said, he is my family."

"Yeah, and you date vampires, so it shouldn't surprise you to learn that your favorite family member is a murderer," Meredith turned on her heel and walked away before Emma could defend herself from the accusation.

"Bitch," Emma said under her breath as she walked out of the hospital and towards the Grill.

Damon rubbed his face frustrated, "So what does a medical examiner, Bill Forbes, and Alaric Saltzman all have in common?"

Emma stepped up beside him and stole his drink, downing it in one gulp, "Founders' Council."

Damon leaned back on his stool and smiled at Emma, "Careful beautiful, if the sheriff sees you drinking you might end up in a cell next to Ric."

She leaned over and kissed him quickly, she smiled back at him as she pulled away, "Wouldn't be the first time."

"Oh, so damn sexy," Damon winked at Emma.

Stefan had been knocking his large daylight ring against the bar top and the noise had finally irritated Damon, he glared at his brother.

"Come on, knock it off," Damon demanded as Stefan reached over the bar and grabbed the bottle closest to him, he poured himself a drink, "You know, quitting blood cold turkey after a ripper binge might not be the best approach. Every time you play that all-or-nothing game, you eventually leave a trail of bodies. So, I'm thinking, now is a good time to pay our old friend moderation a visit."