Part 17

Emma awoke to the feeling of Damon tracing circles on her back, she could feel his body pressed up against her side. She let out a tired sigh and rolled onto her side to face Damon, he pulled her closer against his chest.

"Happy birthday to you..." Damon sang, making Emma's eyes pop open wide.

"Who the hell told you?" She demanded.

"Uh, Alaric, duh," Damon smirked.

Emma angrily pushed away from Damon and got out of bed. She slipped on a pair of her dark skinny jeans and a white tank top before stomping off towards the bathroom, she was madly pulling a brush through her loose curls when Damon came up behind her and put his arms around her waist, holding her from behind.

"You don't like your birthday?" Damon kissed her shoulder.

"It's more of a 'meh' feeling," Emma shrugged.

"Not in this town," Damon chuckled, "especially if Caroline finds out."

Emma shoulders drooped, "Please tell me neither of you involved her in this."

Damon looked offered and scoffed, "Well I didn't but I can't make any promises as to what Alaric is doing."

"Ugh," Emma groaned.

Damon pulled her hair to the side and began kissing her neck, "Careful babe, I might have to turn that groan into a moan."

Emma rolled her eyes and pushed him back so she could finish getting ready, Damon chuckled as he walking back into the bedroom to get himself ready. Once the pair were done they left the bedroom together and headed downstairs.

Damon was tossing the keys to his Camaro up and down as they walked down the hall, Emma began counting his rhythm and on his next toss up she snagged the keys out of midair and took off running out of the house. Damon gasped before he took off after her, he let her think she was winning until she was closer to the car, he then used his speed advantage and caught up with her, grabbing her from behind and spinning her to face him. Playfully he leaned her back and began to kiss her neck. Suddenly he dropped Emma to the ground before he clutched his side and fell to his knees, Emma looked to see a wooden bolt arrow sticking out of ribs, Damon let out a painful groan before he grabbed around it and pulled it out.

"Emma," A familiar gruff voice yelled her name, making her turn and her eyes widened when she saw who it was.

"Dean?" Emma said in shock.

Dean ignored her and kept his attention on Damon, "Back off bloodsucker!"

He was continuing his advance on Damon who was still kneeling on the ground and Emma scrambled over to him, standing between Damon and Dean and holding her hands up in an effort to stop Dean from shooting Damon again. Alaric got out of Dean's Impala looking panicked, he clearly had not expected Dean to be able to jump into action so quickly.

"Emma, what the hell are you doing? Move!" Dean demanded but Emma didn't budge.

"Calm down Dean, he wasn't trying to hurt me," Emma pleaded.

Dean kept his crossbow up and aimed just to the side of Emma, ready to aim it back at Damon the moment she moved.

"Dean, drop the bow," Alaric commanded from behind Dean.

With a frustrated growl and a moment of hesitation Dean finally relented and dropped his crossbow to his side, "Somebody better start explaining to me why in the hell we aren't killing the bloodsucker."

Emma let out a sigh of relief and helped Damon to his feet, he nodded that he was fine before she could ask him, Emma turned her attention to Dean.

"He isn't the bad guy Dean," Emma explained, she started to walk over to Dean and stopped with a small gap in-between them.